Craft Beer MAW(Easy Version)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do get it... just not often. I've seen it more recently, usually alpha king, pride etc. They sometimes put it out sometimes you have to ask. Easiest way is just heading to the brewery and grabbing a delicious lunch at the same time.

That is the best way. Leave full of good food with a case of z dust.

Transmitted from the Millennium Falcon

Yea, bombers are usually sold out the day or so after they are delivered to most of my bottle shops. Pride and Joy, Gumballhead and Bruce are almost always there, but those happen to be my 3 least favorite FFF beers.

They do get it... just not often. I've seen it more recently, usually alpha king, pride etc. They sometimes put it out sometimes you have to ask. Easiest way is just heading to the brewery and grabbing a delicious lunch at the same time.

It's been a little over a year since I went, but if it wasn't for the detour to the brewery I took before heading to the city, I don't think I would've even got my hands on any FFF. I'll probably be heading back to Chicago in a couple months, but sadly won't get to go back to the brewery. We'll probably take the trip to New Glarus instead. I think I can live with that trade off. :D

It's been a little over a year since I went, but if it wasn't for the detour to the brewery I took before heading to the city, I don't think I would've even got my hands on any FFF. I'll probably be heading back to Chicago in a couple months, but sadly won't get to go back to the brewery. We'll probably take the trip to New Glarus instead. I think I can live with that trade off. :D

New Glarus is an amazing brewery! Immaculate landscaping and even better brews.

I think I would probably rather to there than to FFF.
New Glarus is an amazing brewery! Immaculate landscaping and even better brews.

I've not been to New Glarus yet, but based on the pictures I've seen, it kind of reminds me of how Jester King is. That's the coolest brewery I've been to.

I think I would probably rather to there than to FFF.

I've not been to New Glarus yet, but based on the pictures I've seen, it kind of reminds me of how Jester King is. That's the coolest brewery I've been to.

FFF was cool and the beer is great, but the general attitude and "feel" of the place isn't my kind of thing. New Glarus makes some good beer and it seems like a neat place so I'm excited to go. My parents live about 10 minutes from Two Brothers so we'll be making our mandatory minimum of two trips there while we're in Chicago. :D I think we're going to go to Revolution as well. I didn't get to make it there last time.

FFF was cool and the beer is great, but the general attitude and "feel" of the place isn't my kind of thing. New Glarus makes some good beer and it seems like a neat place so I'm excited to go. My parents live about 10 minutes from Two Brothers so we'll be making our mandatory minimum of two trips there while we're in Chicago. :D I think we're going to go to Revolution as well. I didn't get to make it there last time.
They are just completely different settings. But yea, NG would be more of a relaxing and open setting, that's for sure.

Are you usually going to the 2Bros tap house(Warrenville) or the Roundhouse(Aurora)? If you haven't checked out the Roundhouse, I would recommend checking it out as it's a really cool place. They are making some big changes to their company with having that space.

Revolution makes some great beer. I would recommend going to the brewery and tap house(on Kedzie) vs going to the brewpub(on Milwaukee), you'll have a better time.

Id just like to let you know, that I hate you all :D
You can always come visit ;)

They are just completely different settings. But yea, NG would be more of a relaxing and open setting, that's for sure.

Are you usually going to the 2Bros tap house(Warrenville) or the Roundhouse(Aurora)? If you haven't checked out the Roundhouse, I would recommend checking it out as it's a really cool place. They are making some big changes to their company with having that space.

Revolution makes some great beer. I would recommend going to the brewery and tap house(on Kedzie) vs going to the brewpub(on Milwaukee), you'll have a better time.

You can always come visit ;)

I haven't been to the roundhouse location, just the one in Warrenville since my parents live in West Chicago and just minutes from there.
Thanks for the tip on Revolution. I'm not sure which location my parents went to but my mom loved it and said she has to take me there next time we visit.

I haven't been to the roundhouse location, just the one in Warrenville since my parents live in West Chicago and just minutes from there.
Thanks for the tip on Revolution. I'm not sure which location my parents went to but my mom loved it and said she has to take me there next time we visit.

+1 on the actual Revolution brewery. Free can of beer on the tour if you get on one. And yeah the Roundhouse is an awesome place to grab a bite to eat.

+1 on the actual Revolution brewery. Free can of beer on the tour if you get on one. And yeah the Roundhouse is an awesome place to grab a bite to eat.

Revolution is pretty sweet and I dont mean to downplay them....but id have to give the nod to half acre. Their tour is one of the best ive ever been on. And their taproom is awesome too.

Go to both!

Revolution is pretty sweet and I dont mean to downplay them....but id have to give the nod to half acre. Their tour is one of the best ive ever been on. And their taproom is awesome too.

Go to both!

I would say that Half Acre is my favorite of the two. I've never been in the tour, but I have been to the brewery.

Go to both!

Looks like Half Acre will have to be put on the to do list. :D

Ok, here's mine,

Modern Times-any
Hess-any
Jester King-any
Cascade-any
Logsdon-any

This should be easy for someone in California or Arizona

Just a couple of quick notes for anyone making the trip to New Glarus:

- Basic brewery tours are on your own. There are "brew crew" members (not to be confused with the Milwaukee Brewers) that walk around and talk about the machinery, tanks, bottling line, etc. I've never done the hard hat tour but sounds cool. It's $20, only on Fridays, and you get a detailed in depth tour of the facilities.

- Tap room has somewhat limited hours (10-4 each day) so no late night drinking there! But if you like their fruit beers I think they usually have one on tap that is the same price for the tasters as the regular beers (3 ~4 oz pours for $3.50 and you keep the glass). If you buy it by the pint, it's $8! Regular beers are $3 or $4 a pint. Last I was there it was the Raspberry Tart.

- They do Saturday events in the summer, like inviting a wood fired pizza vendor to sell food in their courtyard. Cool if you like that sort of thing.

- Beer is cheaper at the local grocery stores and bars than at the brewery store. Outside of any super special releases (think Very Sour Blackberry) you can find all NG beer locally.

- NG in general has a ton of summer festivals which mostly translate to a beer tent on the main drag. Not the most kid friendly after dark. A notable one is the Beer, Bacon, and Cheese festival. For ~$25 I think you get all you can eat cheese and bacon and beer to drink. Lots of cheese vendors and breweries (Potosi, Lake Louie, New Glarus, etc.)

- Glarner Stube has the best Swiss/German food in town. The New Glarus Hotel (the old one downtown, not the actual hotel on the main highway) is second IMO.
- Ticonos has the best pizza, Sugar River Pizzeria is second, various bars in town come in a distant third.
- For bars, Tofflers has best outdoor seating, Puempels has the best indoor decor, Sportsmans has the cheapest drinks/bar food/everything in the place is for sale (literally, they sold the lights hanging over all the tables one day). Glarner Stube bar I think has the largest tap beer selection but everyone has multiple NG and other close by breweries on tap (Ale Asylum, Lake Louie).

Please come spend your money in my hometown! :)

/threadjack

Wow thanks for the info. My lake house is only about an hour from there so I'm hoping to make it there this summer. Costs remind me of some breweries around here... I can get Two Brothers beer cheaper just about anywhere other than the brewery... Didn't make any sense to me

Sent from my H4X0r3D Nexus 7

Just a couple of quick notes for anyone making the trip to New Glarus:

- Basic brewery tours are on your own. There are "brew crew" members (not to be confused with the Milwaukee Brewers) that walk around and talk about the machinery, tanks, bottling line, etc. I've never done the hard hat tour but sounds cool. It's $20, only on Fridays, and you get a detailed in depth tour of the facilities.

- Tap room has somewhat limited hours (10-4 each day) so no late night drinking there! But if you like their fruit beers I think they usually have one on tap that is the same price for the tasters as the regular beers (3 ~4 oz pours for $3.50 and you keep the glass). If you buy it by the pint, it's $8! Regular beers are $3 or $4 a pint. Last I was there it was the Raspberry Tart.

- They do Saturday events in the summer, like inviting a wood fired pizza vendor to sell food in their courtyard. Cool if you like that sort of thing.

- Beer is cheaper at the local grocery stores and bars than at the brewery store. Outside of any super special releases (think Very Sour Blackberry) you can find all NG beer locally.

- NG in general has a ton of summer festivals which mostly translate to a beer tent on the main drag. Not the most kid friendly after dark. A notable one is the Beer, Bacon, and Cheese festival. For ~$25 I think you get all you can eat cheese and bacon and beer to drink. Lots of cheese vendors and breweries (Potosi, Lake Louie, New Glarus, etc.)

- Glarner Stube has the best Swiss/German food in town. The New Glarus Hotel (the old one downtown, not the actual hotel on the main highway) is second IMO.

- Ticonos has the best pizza, Sugar River Pizzeria is second, various bars in town come in a distant third.

- For bars, Tofflers has best outdoor seating, Puempels has the best indoor decor, Sportsmans has the cheapest drinks/bar food/everything in the place is for sale (literally, they sold the lights hanging over all the tables one day). Glarner Stube bar I think has the largest tap beer selection but everyone has multiple NG and other close by breweries on tap (Ale Asylum, Lake Louie).

Please come spend your money in my hometown! :)

/threadjack

+1... Our son attends UWPlattville. So a couple times a year we head to see him and make detour to New Glarus. Always a fun time. Cheers!

Sent from my van, down by the river.

I plan on heading to new glarus when this tundra thaws. Only 1.5hrs from here.

Anyone around here been to old potosi? I'm curious if their tap beer is better than the stuff I've gotten in bottles.

*edit to more on topic, I will keep my eyes open for vsb, or any NG sours for that matter

I plan on heading to new glarus when this tundra thaws. Only 1.5hrs from here.

Anyone around here been to old potosi? I'm curious if their tap beer is better than the stuff I've gotten in bottles.

*edit to more on topic, I will keep my eyes open for vsb, or any NG sours for that matter

My wife and I ate at the Potosi brewery last spring. Did the a sampler flight as well. Thought all the beers were pretty good. What I remember the most though was our 6 month son screaming all dinner...

The beers at Potosi were definitely better than their bottled stuff. They contract their packaged goods to Point Brewing but brew on-site for the brewpub. The food was really good and they've got a great beer museum on-site. I think it's a few bucks to do the full museum tour but they've got a ton of cool stuff. It's kind of out of the way so we've only been there twice but will likely keep it in rotation for nice summer day trips.

We go to New Glarus about once a month and I agree with everything that has already been said regarding that trip. Their new outdoor beer terrace is going to be ridiculous once it's finally complete. As of October they were still constructing some parts of it and I feel that they need to add a ton more seating but the view is gorgeous and it's just really cool how they've built it to look like ruins from some old european cathedral or something.

We also hit the Grumpy Troll in Mt Horeb pretty regularly if we head up that way, not so much for the beer (which is decent but not mind-blowing) but for their awesome pub food. They have a soft pretzel that they serve on a 14" pizza platter with a half dozen mustards and a huge bowl of beer cheese. To me that's worth the trip by itself.

There is also the mustatd museum in Middleton...down the street from capital brewing. Wife and I met the mustard queen!

Latest posts

Back