Craft a Brew Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buick Beer Gardens

Reaction score
Brewing a Craft a Brew Nut Brown Ale. Brew day two weeks ago today. The kit instructions read to brew five days then bottle. Thanks to this forum and those that shoulder on before....I took a gravity reading. 1.020. I did not take a OG. It was not ready. FG needs to be 1.010 from my investigation of brown ales. I let it go in 70 degrees for another week. Today she is 1.010. The taste last week was not what I had hoped for. This week a much different story on taste. The taste is of brown ale. The smell quite good. I'm quite pleased since my first brew I made was nothing but sweet. Bottling tomorrow.

I
IMO, 5 days is extremely quick.

Difficult to tell the taste of an un-carbonated ale. Rely on your hydrometer as you don't want exploding bottles.

Realize, the brown ale with go thru an additional fermentation in the bottle.
I agree. 5 days is to early yet the instructions states 5 days. But, this forum with it's wisdom made me realize to verify, be patient and let it finish.

I've been brewing since 1995. Each time we take a hydro sample we have the chance of contaminating the batch. Therefore, I've learned, thru experience, to let the primary fermentation sit for 3 weeks.

I'm sure others at HBT will chime in and raise holy h*ll, claiming 3 weeks is absurd.

Last edited:
I've been brewing since 1995. Each time we take a hydro sample we have the chance of contamination the batch. Therefore, I've learned, thru experience, to let the primary fermentation sit for 3 weeks.

I'm sure other at HBT will chime in and raise holy h*ll, claiming 3 weeks is absurd.

I'm of like mind. My very first batch I let go for two weeks. I should have let it go another week. Way to sweet and unfinished. Although this brew is at 1.010 I'm going to let it go some more.

If you keg you could get away with 5 days. Bottling; I would say there is a real risk of bottle bombs with a 5-day schedule .... sometimes it takes a couple of days for the yeast to get started.

For most beers I use a 4-week schedule. It could be quicker, but it fits my system and I know my beers are finished. I use a secondary as I like to harvest clean yeast (I know secondary is a bad word in some places on this forum). 2 weeks primary, rack to secondary, add 8 oz sugar (extract or sugar depending on recipe) to clean out any O2 from beer and fermenter, add gelatin. Add any additives (oak, hops, fruit, coffee, etc).

At 5 days gravity was 1.022. Definitely not ready. The taste was bland. Today at 1.010 the taste is quite good. I'll leave it sit a few more days.

I let my AG Brown ale ferment and condition for about 3-4 weeks in conical before kegging. I then bottle using a beer gun after they have been in the keg for at least a month or two. Even at 4-6 months beer is still great if not perfect.

I have done this method and shipped bottles across country and received scores ranging from 38-40 from two Master BJCP judges. I say all of this to say some beers just need a little time.

Going to let it sit for another week. I have it in a Fastfermenter. Nice conical fermenter.

I've been brewing since 1995. Each time we take a hydro sample we have the chance of contaminating the batch. Therefore, I've learned, thru experience, to let the primary fermentation sit for 3 weeks.

I'm sure others at HBT will chime in and raise holy h*ll, claiming 3 weeks is absurd.

Due to my work schedule, I do the same. Well close anyway, 20 days from brew day to bottle. Otherwise it was too much of a hassle for me. Takes a bit more patience but hasn’t done me wrong yet.

Back