Crack in my primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sterreberry

Reaction score
Just made my first batch last night, and when i came home I found a small crack in my primary fermenter. It just barely drips out. If i can somehow patch this for a few days until i transfer to the secondary will it be ok, or will the oxygen exposure effect it? Please Help like i said its my first batch so no idea what to expect.

Welcome to HBT!
That totally sucks about your fermenter. Patch it up as best you can but don't worry about air getting in, your beer will be fine.

im sure if you patch it up you'll be fine, for this brew at least. i'd wonder about bacteria getting in and it being difficult to clean out in the future... how big is it?

just an idea ... i've seen food grade silicone at the local hardware store maybe use that and some duct tape or something to make a patch if you're worried about it....just off the top of my head

You didn't say if your plastic primary was a bucket or Better Bottle. When you get a new one, if it's a BB, their web site says not to rock the BB on edge to aerate, as that can cause stress cracks - use a tennis ball under the dimple, instead.

http://www.better-bottle.com/products_master.html

Click on "How-To Tips" and scroll down to "Mixing/Oxygenating/Degassing"

Get some epoxy like that 5 min kind. this should hold you over till you can get a new fermenter

I would not use epoxy or silicone for fear of chemicals leaching into the beer. I would use a piece of bicycle inner tube as a patch. Clean the patch with rubbing alcohol, hold it against the crack, and use the rest of the inner tube as a "tie" to hold it in place.

Everyone here is going all super complex in their fixes. Just grab the duct tape (you do own duct tape right?), wipe off any dripping beer and tape that guy up. You will be done in less time then prepping any epoxy or bike tire patch.

I would transfer it now while the yeast are still in the early phases, better safe than sorry. Of course you could end up with the best "Duct Tape Ale" ever!

Everyone here is going all super complex in their fixes. Just grab the duct tape (you do own duct tape right?), wipe off any dripping beer and tape that guy up. You will be done in less time then prepping any epoxy or bike tire patch.

This is my opinion as well. If it is barely dripping, then the crack is quite small and doesn't warrant complicated fixes. I can't imagine there would be any appreciable contact between the beer and the tape. Just a couple of strips across the crack to keep it pulled together and call it good.

Red Green has spoken! :mug:

LMAO! I love that show.

How about "Duct Tale Ale" . . . maybe 'cause I'm drinking a goose island clone right now but hey, if you don't use it I might!

I would transfer it now while the yeast are still in the early phases, better safe than sorry. Of course you could end up with the best "Duct Tape Ale" ever!

Epoxy has an extremely low solubility in water and in alcohol. Anyways the positive pressure on the inside of the fermenter (water pushing up against the crack) will keep any chemicals if any away from the contents of the fermenter.

thanks for all the suggestions. I did end up using duct tape. Although not the red green version, but the actual foil tape. It seems to be holding up so far.

Back