Couple of questions about low abv carbinated meads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
I'd like to try to make a light mead (hydromel?) and bottle and carbonate it but I have a few questions I can't find very clear answers for.

1) how long will a lets say 4% abv mead take to ferment?

2) Are low abv meads good spiced or flavored like regular mead?

3) Dose anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks guys!

I'd like to try to make a light mead (hydromel?) and bottle and carbonate it but I have a few questions I can't find very clear answers for.

1) how long will a lets say 4% abv mead take to ferment?
Depends on your definition of "light". Light flavour ? Low alcohol ? etc etc

The problem is likely to be low in flavour/taste. Watery/thin in character. As to how long it would take to ferment ? In all likelihood, not long, but if it's not a balanced must, then it could easily take a long time.
2) Are low abv meads good spiced or flavored like regular mead?
They might be, though maybe not. You'd need to experiment a bit to find out. As the type of mead you're making would make all the difference. If, as is likely, it's lower in base flavour, then you'd have to be careful about any further "flavouring ingredients" especially spices as they can sometimes impart a very strong taste, with only a little of the spice used - cloves are a good example.
3) Dose anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks guys!
Pass! You'd have to research yourself. Only you have some idea of flavour mixes/combinations, that you'd like to try as a drink. I believe there's a recipe section hereabouts, there certainly is over at gotmead.....

Depends on your definition of "light". Light flavour ? Low alcohol ? etc etc

The problem is likely to be low in flavour/taste. Watery/thin in character. As to how long it would take to ferment ? In all likelihood, not long, but if it's not a balanced must, then it could easily take a long time.

Sorry for my noobness. I guess I should have been more specific. I'd like a mead to carbonate and drinks like a beer. I've thought about trying a braggot but I'd like to try to brew something closer to a mead.

I'll check out the website you suggested. I have seen some recipes but I'm I feel kind of shaky. Beer was a lot easier to find information on.

Back