Couple Milk Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTJayLaw

Reaction score
Evening fellow brewers. I am looking to brew a milk stout. Most of the recipes I've seen call for dark LME, however I have light on hand that I need to use up. What would be the downside to using the light instead? Lighter color?

Also, I've searched the site for an extract version of the Left Hand clone but can't seem to find one? Anyone have one or something similar?

Whatever recipe you end up using, when it's ready to drink be sure to get some good chocolate ice cream and make milk stout floats ... dangerously good.

If I go with this recipe and the light LME any thoughts on adding roasted barley to the grain bill to darken and to add the roasty favor missing due to not using dark extract?

Yeah, I'd add some and maybe some chocolate malt. If you find an all grain recipe, think of the light LME filling the base grain and then steeping the specialty malts. Not perfect but it gets you close.

If I go with this recipe and the light LME any thoughts on adding roasted barley to the grain bill to darken and to add the roasty favor missing due to not using dark extract?

I personally feel like using lighter extract will give you more control over the recipe. You can add the speciality grains you want without worrying about what else the manufacturer added. As d3track said, you can take an all grain recipe and use a light colored extract in place of the base malt. It won't be quite the same beer as you're limited by the properties of the extract versus mashing the grain yourself, but it will be close...especially for something like a milk stout.

I personally feel like using lighter extract will give you more control over the recipe. You can add the speciality grains you want without worrying about what else the manufacturer added. As d3track said, you can take an all grain recipe and use a light colored extract in place of the base malt. It won't be quite the same beer as you're limited by the properties of the extract versus mashing the grain yourself, but it will be close...especially for something like a milk stout.

Thanks for the info.. So in the excerpt below taken from an all grain stout recipe would I be okay replacing the 7 lbs of 2 row and 12 oz of Munich with an equal amount of light LME and then steeping the roasted barley, crystal, chocolate, flaked barley, and oats? Thanks in advance...

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %

Thanks for the info.. So in the excerpt below taken from an all grain stout recipe would I be okay replacing the 7 lbs of 2 row and 12 oz of Munich with an equal amount of light LME and then steeping the roasted barley, crystal, chocolate, flaked barley, and oats? Thanks in advance...

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %

I would use a recipe calculator to determine the exact amount of extract necessary to replace the a 7 bs of 2-row and 12 ox of Munich. You will get different values depending on whether your using DME or LME. It all depends on what SG you're trying to achieve. As for the rest of the grains, you can steep everything but the flaked barley. That requires a mash...so it's out. You should really be calculating the amount of extract necessary to replace the 2-row, Munich, and flaked barley.

Back