Counter flow chiller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyd

Reaction score
Spent an afternoon putting this chiller together. I used 18' 3/8 copper tubing that was left over from another project. I had a 20' water hose I no longer used that went into the project. The only additional parts were two t fittings, four hose clamps and a plumbing solder kit.
IMG_0577.JPG

I slid the copper tubing through the water hose and rolled the tubing around a 5lb co2 cylinder. I ended up cutting about 3 ft of the water hose off to match the length of the copper. Soldered the fittings on with a propane torch and used a wet rag to keep from melting the water hose.
IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG

Attached the hoses to the fittings with hose clamps and tested for leaks. Just have to clean it and test how efficiently it works now. It was a fun afternoon project. I used a lot less parts and soldering than I have seen others builders use. If you are concerned about your solder joints leaking just push the 3/8 copper about 6" further through the copper t fitting. That will allow you to keep an eye on your solder connection. The way I have mine soldered the wort hoses will cover the solder joints.
IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

Well done!
Out of curiosity, what was your materials cost vs. the ~ $200 bucks for a store purchased CFC?

c
Well done!
Out of curiosity, what was your materials cost vs. the ~ $200 bucks for a store purchased CFC?
I purchased everything locally from Home Depot and Walmart.

$10 for the 25' rv drinking water hose.
$25 for 20' of 3/8 copper tubing from Home depot
$8 for two pex fittings from Home Depot
$5 for 4 ss hose clamps from home depot
$15 for plumbing solder Kit at Home depot

$63 all together if you just bought enough material to just build one.

This was a project I have wanted to attempt for awhile. The copper and the hose were just laying on the shelf collecting dust. I started by cutting a small piece of 3/8 copper tubing about 2" long. I also cut off an 8" section from one end of the garden hose. I took those pieces to Home depot to find a t fitting that would fit. The closest thing I could find to fit was the pex fitting. The pex fitting had to be drilled out with a 3/8 drill bit so the copper would slide through. I drilled it with my hand drill in a clamp down bench vice.
If a couple guys got together and purchased the copper in bulk and shared a solder kit you could build something similar for $35-40 each

Nice build! Looks very clean. I have been Thinking about changing from an IC to a CFC. How do the garden hose style chillers do vs all copper chillers. What are some pros and cons of both.

Back