Could you have a look at the yeast that I harvested from my conical? [picture inside]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thonz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently gotten a plastic conical from a clubmate and I'm fermenting an IPA with s04. I've pulled two jars worth of yeast from the bottom.
Could you have a look at them and tell me if it's trub that I've harvested, or mostly yeast?
When I look at this video on youtube he states that he's waiting for the black spots to disappear.
There's some black spots in mine, but there's not white line of yeast that I usually see in a starter. It's all white.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKERsM4fGaE]this video[/ame]

DiPkYBVh.jpg

There aren't any "lines" because it came out of the fermentor like tapioca without enough beer to loosen it up.
If you add some boiled/cooled water to that (like, double the volume into a larger jar) and give it a good shake it should stratify...

Cheers!

There aren't any "lines" because it came out of the fermentor like tapioca without enough beer to loosen it up.
If you add some boiled/cooled water to that (like, double the volume into a larger jar) and give it a good shake it should stratify...

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply! I don't think I'm going to do that since I don't want to introduce more foreign material to the environment that the yeast is in.
Do you, by chance have an idea of how much of this is yeast? (how much would this stratify)

Did you pull any yeast out before harvesting? You normally want the middle of the cone's worth of yeast as the are the healthiest cells. You should also notice a color change once you get thru the initial dump of "rejects" with the good stuff being much brighter than the picture.

Back