could I use liquid dextrose in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie7

Reaction score
Hey Guys I am totaly new to beer brewing,

I see in recepies that I should add dextrose to my carboy to get good fermentation .

I couldnt find dextrose in my city ,but in drugstore they have liquid dextrose for injection , [they give it to people who faint so they can recover]

do you think I can use that Liquid Dextrose in my beer ?

on the bottle it says Dextorse 5% , and it looks been mixed with water .
do you think I should boil it so the water be gone and I add just dextrose and less water?

give me all your suggestions please .

It would be cost prohibitive to do that at the very least. At my lhbs 1 lb of dextrose is less than $2.00. I don't know how much the injection "syrup" you are looking at is but at 5% it won't be adding much to the brew. Also, those are usually mixed with saline instead of just water which also adds salt to your brew if you use that. I wouldn't recommend using it.

unfortunately I cant find dextrose here, for 1 galon of beer how much dextrose do you add ?
I am thinking about boiling this Liquid (injectable dextrose %5) so the water be gone .
[it is 500 ml, so there shoudl be 100 gram of dextrose in all of the liquid] how much dextrose do I need for 1 galon ?

You'd have to take a hydro sample to see how diluted this dextrose solution is.

that said, no, i wouldn't bother using it. its gonna be too expensive compared to real dextrose/corn sugar which is like a buck a pound.

you can also use plain white table sugar for priming in a pinch.

You'd have to take a hydro sample to see how diluted this dextrose solution is.

that said, no, i wouldn't bother using it. its gonna be too expensive compared to real dextrose/corn sugar which is like a buck a pound.

you can also use plain white table sugar for priming in a pinch.

Thanks guys , two questions :

1- there is 5 gram Dextrose in each 100 mil-liter of this Injectable Liquid ,
so the only reason for not using Liquid Injectable Dextrose is being expensive ? but if I want to use it anyway , should I boil its water , so it be less watery ? or the water be fine with beer ?

2- if I can find corn sugar somehwere, how much should I add for a galon ?

btw , I have tried with Table Sugar, it makes a little alcohol and it tastes funny !

How much detrose is this recipe calling for? If it just says "add some dextrose", then you need to find a better recipe.

Oh, and were are you at that you can't find dextrose? I'm assuming not in the US.

As long as it isn't more than say 20% of your fermentables, use table sugar. It won't give any off flavours in those amounts. It will have pretty much the same characteristic as Dextrose, which is to dry out your final beer.

Whichever you choose, make certain to boil up either one with water and let it cool before you add it. Use just enough water to dissolve the sugar and boil it for 15 minutes before you allow it to cool.

If you get off flavours, it is probably from elsewhere in your brewing or fermenting process.

Whatever you do, I think anything would be a better option than a pharmaceutical dextrose solution meant for injection. Those often have other ingredients meant to keep the dextrose in solution that you probably don't want in your beer. I'd use fructose granules or table sugar before resorting to that.

Whatever you do, I think anything would be a better option than a pharmaceutical dextrose solution meant for injection. Those often have other ingredients meant to keep the dextrose in solution that you probably don't want in your beer. I'd use fructose granules or table sugar before resorting to that.

Agree. If that solution is meant for injection into the bloodstream it is in a saline (salt water) solution. That may add more off flavors than using regular table sugar would.

Is this for the fermentation process or for bottling?

Agree. If that solution is meant for injection into the bloodstream it is in a saline (salt water) solution. That may add more off flavors than using regular table sugar would.

Is this for the fermentation process or for bottling?

it is for fermentation process

Don't want to post any details about the recipe so we can help you? I'm starting to wonder just what you're trying to brew.

Typically you add dextrose to the fermenter for the purpose of boosting the alcohol content. The amount to add would depend on what your starting (original) gravity is and what yeast strain you are using (to have an estimate as to where your final gravity would be). Dextrose adds very little if any to the taste of the beer but does boost the alcohol content. So, if you want to post your OG and what you want to reach as far as alcohol content and volume of the brew, I'm sure someone on here can tell you exactly how much dextrose to add.

infact I dont have any recepie... I wanna make 1 galon . I rather it be as much alcohlic as possible

You might want to look up an actual recipe and some information on how to actually make beer rather than just dumping random amounts of ingredients. And if you're just looking for a quick buzz and don't care how it tastes, there's malt liquor you can buy at any store that'll be much cheaper and easier than trying to brew your own beer.

infact I dont have any recepie... I wanna make 1 galon . I rather it be as much alcohlic as possible

Our forum is dedicated to making quality beer, wine, meads, and ciders. If you want to make a gallon of hooch, google "pruno" and that should fulfill your need.

If you want to make a good drinkable beer, take a look at some of our recipes. With a good quality malt extract, hops, water, and yeast (ditch the sugar- yuck! in most beers), you can make a very nice beer.

Back