Cotton candy/Gumball IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgermy

Reaction score
I recently had 2 different DIPA's from a local brewery and both had hints of cotton candy/gum balls. One was about 8% and the other was like 14% ABV. How could I get that flavor? Is it the hops, yeast, fermentation temp or simply adding flavoring?

I imagine if the flavor was intentional it was from flavoring of some kind, primarily vanilla.
If they're local, you could just ask them.

You can buy "cotton candy" extract flavoring and experiment on a glass of beer before going all-in on an entire batch.
I think it might get old before a keg of it kicked...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of a cotton candy beer before, but that sounds interesting. Cotton candy flavoring. I don't think I'd want to add it in an IPA, but it sounds like it might be interesting in some kind of wheat beer. Cotton candy flavoring.

Cotton candy flavoring...

Cotton candy...

Flavoring...

Definitely sounds interesting.

I recently had 2 different DIPA's from a local brewery and both had hints of cotton candy/gum balls. One was about 8% and the other was like 14% ABV. How could I get that flavor? Is it the hops, yeast, fermentation temp or simply adding flavoring?

What beers were they? Might be able to Google a clone recipe or ask the brewery.

The 2 beers were from Bells brewery in Michigan. I read the description and was skeptical at first. The candy flavor was not strong at all, very subtle. Amazing subtle sweet flavor with tons of hops.

3 Floyd's in Indiana makes a Gumballhead brew using Amarillo hops that give it a gumball aroma. Not so much the flavor though.

Back