Cost of a brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, all grain is cheaper. My Brown Rye cost me $17 for everything but propane. 7# of 2-row @.79 saved me $5, using tap water saves too- I'm glad to find a way to make tap water drinkable. Seems the 'impuritys' are just what the yeast needs. All of my equipment came from the swap meet, burner from a wall heater, bottles from the dumpsters, all ingredients from Home Brew Mart here in San Diego- and they usually throw in the 4 oz sampler of any of 8 Micro/HB on taps...

AAaand, refill your propane bottle at a tool rental place. Last time it was $2 gal, four gallon in a tank, $8 or 2/16. Versus $24 each exchanged....

Hmmm..... guess I never really thought of it because the comparison is all off. I mean... ok... I found here that it cost $1.50 a bottle. Compared to what? Mass produced stuff...... Compared to a lot of "garbage" out there? How does your beer compare to what you would normally drink I guess is a good question... if you normally drink Bud and you find it by the case at $7 you are going to be VERY DISAPOINTED when looking at how much its costing you. And this does not even include the time and effort involved in this entire process.

Beer: Cherries in the wheat

Wheat DME (3lb)..............12
What Extract(3.3lb)..........13
Cherry Puree (can)...........13
Dextrin(8oz)....................2.50
White labs Yeast............ 7.50
Cane Sugar for bottling.... 2.50
Perle Hops... 2 oz... (?)....3.50
--------------------------------------
$54.00

Only thing left I need is bottles... have caps. This first time around I was lucky because I found all of my equipment. The only big thing I needed was the glass carboys (got one 5 and one 6.5 ... could have gone ten bucks cheaper with the bucket... but I like to see the action:))

If I get 36 bottles thats $1.50 a bottle.

i would say for a basic brew, roughly 25-30 for ingredients depending on if i am repitching yeast from a previous batch. most expensive is probably around 50 -60 for five gallons of high gravity beer. but usually that yields a small beer around 5.5abv.

Hello everyone. I have been all-grain brewing since 1997. Thousands of dollars spent on upgrades to equipment and the brewing facility. My breweing area is a dedicated 12'x20' room in my basement with sinks, restaurant exhaust hood, refrigeration, storage, etc.

My ingredient cost breakdown for all-grain 11-gallon batches:

$15/sack domestic base ($0.30/lb x 18 lb x .75 use factor = $4.05/batch)
$18/sack premium base ($0.36/lb x 4 lb = $1.44/batch)
$24/sack import pils ($0.48/lb x 20 lb x .25 use factor = $2.40/batch)
Specialty malts ($1.50/lb x 2.5 lb = $3.75/batch)
Home grown hops - free x .5 use factor = $0
Bulk hops $10-12/lb (~$0.69/oz x 6 oz x .5 use factor = $2.07/batch)
$6 liquid yeast lasts two batches ($3/batch x .5 use factor = $1.50)
Slurry from microbrewery- free x .5 use factor = $0
Finings/nutrients/sanitizer/DME/dextrose/etc. ($2.50/batch)
Propane usage ~1.5 gal/batch x $2.09/gal ($3.14/batch)
Water treatment- filters, acid/salts if needed ($1.00/batch)
CO2 ($1.00/batch)

Total on average
$22.85 for an 11-gallon batch (115 bottles at about $0.20/bottle)

Add your overhead and time and costs soar to about $20/bottle :eek:|

Steve
Stevenson, WA

It looks like I'm right in there with everyone else here. Not counting the initial outlay for equipment, I think mine costs around $30 for 5 gal. I buy 6-6 gal. of water and a 20lb. bag of ice for each batch. Also, it seems like every time I go to the store to pick up ingredients for a new batch I need at least one other supply such as bottle caps, sanitizer, etc.

Still, we are making beer that is comparable with imports and super-premiums in the store. At about $15 a case we are making our beer for about the same price as a 12 pack of a good import. Not bad, eh?

I usually spend $40-$50 a batch, but since I've started fairly recently, some of that is reusable equipment and additives, and I almost always have leftover specialty grains around to throw in another beer they might go with just for sh'ts 'n giggles.

Back