Cosmic Collisions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman

Reaction score
I'm kind of an astronomy buff, so I'm looking forward to tonight at 10pm, when Discovery Channel will be airing a documentary about when celestial objects (including galaxies :D) smash together!

We are going to collide with Andromeda in a few billion years. Man, I wish I could be around to see that!

We are going to collide with Andromeda in a few billion years. Man, I wish I could be around to see that!

I've seen simulations of that on TV. Looks to be quite the mess! We should probably be glad we won't be around!

Is that 10pm Eastern? I may have to dvr that.

I've been watching "the universe" on the history channel. Pretty good stuff although sometimes they overdo the special effects to the point where it's annoying.

Yeah, 10pm eastern.

We actually wouldn't have to worry too much about it. Even though the galaxies are going to collide, the changes of that affecting our system are somewhere between slim and none.

They actually just revised the time statement about when we collide with Andromeda. Turns out our glaxy is almost the same size as Adromeda (they originly believed we were smaller) so this throws off the original calculations. IT's going to hapen a billion or two years sooner now.

I'm a bit of a science buff myself too. :mug:

I remember seeing that article, but I didn't catch the recalc of the collision!

Well caught! :mug:

Questioning my buffitude because you know something that I don't? Are you really one of those? lol

I see this thread ending in the vein of the bar scene in Good Will Hunting. Everybody can read and regurgitate information, but I want to know which one of you is getting Minnie Driver's number.

article-0-02692C2600000578-860_468x650.jpg

How you like dem apples? :D

I see this thread ending in the vein of the bar scene in Good Will Hunting. Everybody can read and regurgitate information, but I want to know which one of you is getting Minnie Driver's number.

I'd be one of the guys that might end up with the number....but I wouldn't take it. During my time working in Hollywood she's one of the big ones that I've heard stories about. Appearently she's a raging *****.

Real good!

Excellent visuals an great information :)

Good to hear. I'll have to figure out a way to watch it via the internet.

Have you seen Sunshine? I really dug the visuals that Danny Boyle put together for the first half of that movie. Once it turned into a horror/suspense flick I thought it was pretty stupid, but I think he captured the intensity of the surface of the sun as the crew approached quite well.

Latest posts

Back