Correct glasses for styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a link or a good source that tells you which glass is intended for which style?

Currently I'm looking specifically for what a hefeweizen should be drunk out of so if you only have that info that helps too.

i think the glassware shape is more associated with a brewery than with a particular style. There are some shapes that are associated with a particular style, but that's usually due to one or two breweries being the major representation of that style. Here's a good site to browse so you can see the variety:
http://www.straubs.net/index.htm
browse by country. There are some generally accepted shapes (the schooner, the british pint, the pilsner glass) that have associated styles:
http://www.beercartel.com.au/pages.php?pID=2
the bottom line is that you need to steal or buy a lot of glasses to be cool and drink beer.

Thanks for the help guys. I was curious because this hefe batch is for a birthday present and I wanted to buy a set of "correct" glasses for the person to add to the gift.

american, or ?

one of the things i hate most about american pints is the glass is so thick. it's like drinking out of a soup bowl.

i drink most ales out of tulip pint glasses. sours/belgians/hi grav get specialty. i also have a few old pilsner glasses that i drink most lagers out of.

I have some pilsner glasses, pint glasses, and some very slightly "bubbled" pint glasses that are still in the box. Not bubbled as drastically as a guinness glass.

My favorite glasses are my Marvel Comics glasses I have Spiderman, Captain America, The Hulk, and Wolverine.

I do most of my beer drinking from an American style pint glass. Belgians, barley wines and big stouts I drink from a tulip. I'm not too concerned about being strictly "proper" with glassware and I'm not much of a fan of most other styles of glasses anyway.

weihenstephaner and franziskaner are both bavarian, so a schooner style would probably be correct. i think it's awesome when you go to a bar and every beer you order has its individual glass- but that's me. i like glass.

I really enjoy collection beer glasses, and so I have almost one of each of every style of beer glasses (to an extent). That being said, sometimes I am just lazy and will drink out of a pint glass/Sam Adams glass. It can be a bit cumbersome to drink a kolsch out of a .2 L kolsch glass. My favorite glasses are either my Dogfish head pint glass or my Lagunitas mason jar glass. Both are just cool as **** looking.

I've been reading the "Game of Thrones" book series, and i know it sounds retarded, but i just gotta find a horn to drink my beer out of now. Seriously, drinking beer out of a horn just seems so over the top and inconvenient that it just has to be done.

edit: http://www.jelldragon.com/beer_mugs.htm

yeah, you know you want one

I use a fluted snifter/tulip for all beers. Why wouldn't you want to enhance aroma, body and head, no matter what the beer is. Maybe its just me

Dude, I do want one.

It has officially rendered all other drinking containers worthless and weak.

Thats what I was thinking when I heard "horn"!

It's purposefully not flat on the bottom so you can't set it down until it is empty... nice...

Well, i guess that's what the optional shoulder strap is for? Ridiculous. As a bonus you can get all stabby with it at your next kegger.

i know it's not glass- but drinking beer out of strippers is pretty rad. laborious and expensive, but rad nonetheless...

i bought two nonic pint glasses and i'll never go back to the conical pints for beer (even though we have a ton)
i love being able to fit an actual pint OR MORE into the glass! (500mL? NO PROBLEM!)

I use a fluted snifter/tulip for all beers. Why wouldn't you want to enhance aroma, body and head, no matter what the beer is. Maybe its just me

Because those aromatics and flavors aren't always desired. Before coming to home brewing, I started as an avid wine collector (and I still am). I thought glassware was all bunk, until I attended a tasting of the same wine decanted the same time and served in differently shaped glasses. It isn't always about enhancing.... Sometimes promoting a flavor or aromatic is preferred. In wine, it is by varietal. In beer, by style. The volume of the glass relative to the diameter of the opening positions the beer on the tongue and has a profound effect on overall perception. Too close to the front ( smaller opening) and you will detect sweet first. Too close to the rear and you will detect bitter first. Either may be appropriate, depending on style.

With Syrah, fruit aromatics should be maximized, so the bowls are huge with small openings. With cabs the tanins are more important, so the opening widens a bit.

I find similar relationships between beers and glasses. It is a symbiotic relationship--not simply about turning everything up to eleven. I now have 15 differently shaped wine glasses and I can detect differences in each. With beer, I have 4 different shapes and I will be getting more as I explore more styles. I think it is silly to equivalize all styles to a single presentation.

I've been reading the "Game of Thrones" book series, and i know it sounds retarded, but i just gotta find a horn to drink my beer out of now. Seriously, drinking beer out of a horn just seems so over the top and inconvenient that it just has to be done.

edit: http://www.jelldragon.com/beer_mugs.htm

yeah, you know you want one

You are in luck with Scarborough faire going on just down in Waxahachie for 2 more weekends.

PS. full horns work great at keg parties - they hold a lot more beer than the little plastic glasses if you do it right. Bonus if you are in costume around Halloween.

Sorry if this is already in the thread, but I've gotten great presents from beerables.net. Quick service & decent prices. (No, I'm not affiliated in any way, just a long time fan!)

You are in luck with Scarborough faire going on just down in Waxahachie for 2 more weekends.

PS. full horns work great at keg parties - they hold a lot more beer than the little plastic glasses if you do it right. Bonus if you are in costume around Halloween.

Yeah? They sell those at the fair?
I've never been able to make myself go to one of those despite my love of big smoked turkey legs.

Hey y'all! I just got finished with this PDF this morning. I can't take credit for the content, but I will take credit for the format. This info came from Beer Advocate, I just compressed it and organized it so I could print it without taking up 13 pages. I hope it helps!

Glasses for Beer

Hey y'all! I just got finished with this PDF this morning. I can't take credit for the content, but I will take credit for the format. This info came from Beer Advocate, I just compressed it and organized it so I could print it without taking up 13 pages. I hope it helps!

Glasses for Beer

Awesome job

Very cool. What are the best online vendors to buy glasses from?

I just found an alright selection at Pier 1. prices anywhere from 3-7 dollars. Grabbed two 23oz weizen glasses which is perfect because I bottled in 22oz bottles this time.

Currently I have one of the handblown Dos Equis glasses that I got for a pretty darn good price, and after reading this thread and looking at other links, I need to add some different glasses to my collection - that I just started like right now.

Back