Corny Keg(s) Price$$$$$$$$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinnn

Reaction score
E-bay two - 5gallon Corny Kegs for 24.99 plus 28 flat rate shipping. Worth it? I cannot find anything on craigslist/bargain news in CT.

4 for $32 plus $52 shipping, Even better? or maybe LBS can find me something better. Highly unlikely in this state.

4 for $84 to your door is pretty good. I doubt they're reconditioned, so figure a couple bucks each for new o-rings and maybe a replacement poppet here or there, and you should be good.

I bought 4 (ebal) and site was Adventures In Homebrewing.
email: [email protected]

Total with shipping was $ 84.00 ( 21.00 each)

Pleased with kegs, and all had pressure on them when I received.

I guess you don't have a homebrew shop close by. We had one in NOLA until after Katrina. Now we have to do mailorder for everything.

I saw those the other day and actually marked a couple in My ebay to see if they stay low or get any higher.

A lot of people on the board have said if you wait you can get a 5 gallon corny for around $20, although I have not been so lucky yet. Plus, most of the time these kegs need some reconditioning in the form of cleaning and new parts which definitely ups the price. The auction says the kegs are in "working order," and if that means they just need a clean and sterilize it might be worth the extra few bucks you'll spend on the keg. Especially if you're in a hurry.

I also just checked the feedback and that seller has sold tons of his two keg lots. Most everyone said they came holding pressure and the ones that didn't he helped them fix the kegs and sent replacement parts. Seems like a solid seller IMO.

As another option, someone posted this website in a few other post about corny kegs:

http://www.brewersdiscount.com/item5095.ctlg

This site sells pairs of two for $32 plus shipping. Might be cheaper depending on the shipping cost of the kegs, but you'll have to research that for your particular area.

Good luck with your hurt! I'm just getting into brewing but am on the lookout for kegging gear myself as it is where I would like to go in the future of the hobby. Might as well look early. ;)

Justinnn said:
I cannot find anything on craigslist/bargain news in CT.

Not sure where in CT you are but Maltose Express in Monroe has reconditioned cornies for $35, typically the ones on Ebay aren't reconditioned so you end up spending more to fix them up depending on what needs to be replaced.

http://www.maltose.com/Equipment/index_equipment.htm

I will e-mail the seller on e-bay and see what condition the kegs are actually in. Its a soda warehouse selling old equip so it might need reconditioning. I have not been to maltose express though I have heard of it. Monroe is kind of far from Hartford, when you have 2 brew stores right next to each other. Only problem is one is kind of small and the other guy is a moron. I'll have to check it out someday.

Justinnn said:
I have not been to maltose express though I have heard of it. Monroe is kind of far from Hartford, when you have 2 brew stores right next to each other. Only problem is one is kind of small and the other guy is a moron. I'll have to check it out someday.

You should definitely check it out, it's run by the couple that wrote clonebrews and beer captured. A little closer to hartford, you could try Zok's in willimantic

http://www.homemadebrew.net/

Morebeer.com has 4 reconditioned for $99 shipped, right now. Just got mine, one wasn't reconditioned, but they're sending me a few gasket kits so I can fix one and have a few spares on hand. I couldn't find any better price, especially after shipping.

neckbone said:
Morebeer.com has 4 reconditioned for $99 shipped, right now. Just got mine, one wasn't reconditioned, but they're sending me a few gasket kits so I can fix one and have a few spares on hand. I couldn't find any better price, especially after shipping.

I was just going to suggest Morebeer's sale... but the fact that they sent you a non-reconditioned keg, when in fact they promised those would be fully reconditioned, is further evidence that morebeer's customer service bites donkey balls. The more I hear about this crap - getting the order wrong, even if they later fix it - makes me less and less inclined to give them ANY business.

Jekster said:
As another option, someone posted this website in a few other post about corny kegs:

http://www.brewersdiscount.com/item5095.ctlg

This site sells pairs of two for $32 plus shipping. Might be cheaper depending on the shipping cost of the kegs, but you'll have to research that for your particular area.

I second brewersdirect.com, I got 6 kegs from them for $120 shipped. they wern't reconditioned but for $20 a peice it was a good deal. I have used all of them and they all work great, I will need to replace a couple of seals and popetts soon, but they all held pressure and worked when I got them and they were cleaned out with sanitizer in them already too.

Cheers

the_bird said:
I was just going to suggest Morebeer's sale... but the fact that they sent you a non-reconditioned keg, when in fact they promised those would be fully reconditioned, is further evidence that morebeer's customer service bites donkey balls. The more I hear about this crap - getting the order wrong, even if they later fix it - makes me less and less inclined to give them ANY business.

I've ordered from them many times with no problems. One thing you have to remember is that most people only talk about thier bad experience, the people that got exactly what they ordered don't talk about it.

My LHBS sells 5 kegs for $99. He doesn't recondition them he gives you a rebuild kit with every keg.

I bought 4 locally for 20$ each. Bought 2 bags of 100 orings (dip tube and connector) for 8$ shipped, got some big lid o-rings coming... I call it all good. :)

Hey Bird, what's the recipe for "Fornicator"? Sounds good to me!

Monster Mash said:
I've ordered from them many times with no problems. One thing you have to remember is that most people only talk about thier bad experience, the people that got exactly what they ordered don't talk about it.

Yeah, but I've heard about FAR more bad experiences at morebeer than at Northern Brewer or Austin....

mward said:
Hey Bird, what's the recipe for "Fornicator"? Sounds good to me!

Still under development. It's a doppelbock. About 55% - 60% Munich, 35%ish Pils, some dark crystal, some Special B, and some pale chocolate malt. Hallertau to about 20UIBUs. But, still a work in progress, not brewed yet!

How easy is it to recondition kegs for a noob? I haven't seen cornies in action so is it worth the extra money to get the reconditioned kegs vs just buying gaskets and whatever else is needed to recondition?

Reconditioned means the O-rings and/or poppet valves (the little springed seats inside the connection posts) are replaced if needed. If anyone thinks it means that all the orings and poppets are replaced no matter what, I've got a bridge you might be interested in. Basically it's a keg in ready to santize and fill condition.
I'd say 9 out of 10 kegs I've gotten directly out of soda syrup service (though unused for a couple years) have NOT need new poppets and about half of them had decent O-rings. I replaced all the Orings anyway, but not the poppets. They were clean.

Anyway, once you take a keg apart to figure out what it's made of, it's really easy to decide if the keg needs new parts.

Good description bobby, i think that it can be very misleading sometimes when people say "reconditioned" as apposed to saying "Cleaned" most of the times, from my experience reconditioned is no more than people replacing O rings, which in most cases you can find cheaper kegs and replace them for yourself for far less than it cost to buy "Reconditioned Kegs".

Cheers

I would be patient with Craigslist and check daily. Check cities that are close by too if you're not in a large one. I was patient and ended up getting 5 cornies, a 20lb CO2 tank and dual guage regulator for $125. I got these things from two different people. I also look in cities where I may have family or friends that wouldn't mind picking something up for me.

Also, on eBay...check out Tom Hargrave Sales in Huntsville, AL. He has some pretty sweet deals. I got two cornies with two sets of o-rings each from him for about $38. Again, rather than pay shipping, I had someone who was able to pick them up for me. So, all in all now, I have 7 cornies, a 20lb tank and a dual gauge regulator for about $163...patience is key. Piece by piece I have saved quite a bit.

I'm going to have to ask my wife's (pepsi) boss if I can buy another 100 kegs from him and start selling them here.

Hmm!

Brew-boy said:
You may want to check this place out. I bought 4 kegs that are rebuilt for $23 each. There are great nice and shinny and no dents.
http://www.brewersdiscount.com/item5099.ctlg
I get the non-reconditioned kegs from brewers discount…2 for $32 and they’re great. The keg in the pic below is from there and I just got 4 more…total of 8 from there.

All have great seals and are in fine working order. You can see that even the exterior is pretty darn nice.
Four_Fermenters.JPG

BierMuncher said:
I get the non-reconditioned kegs from brewers discount…2 for $32 and they’re great. The keg in the pic below is from there and I just got 4 more…total of 8 from there.

All have great seals and are in fine working order. You can see that even the exterior is pretty darn nice.

So, do the $16 (2 for $32) kegs need any thing new? I assume they need new gaskets, but do they assure you everything else is good. There must be some difference between them and the rebuilt $23 ones.

Beerrific said:
So, do the $16 (2 for $32) kegs need any thing new? I assume they need new gaskets, but do they assure you everything else is good. There must be some difference between them and the rebuilt $23 ones.
Mine have never needed anything new. Never any root beer smells, no bad o-rings.
I think they just have a pretty good stock on hand of good stuff.
The difference between these and the reconditioned is that the reconditioned have been…uh…reconditioned. Whether they needed it or not.

Now, that’s not to say that the un-recon’d stock will always be good-to-go. But at least I can save $7 apiece and I’ll determine if they need new rings or not.

BierMuncher said:
Mine have never needed anything new. Never any root beer smells, no bad o-rings.
I think they just have a pretty good stock on hand of good stuff.
The difference between these and the reconditioned is that the reconditioned have been…uh…reconditioned. Whether they needed it or not.

Now, that’s not to say that the un-recon’d stock will always be good-to-go. But at least I can save $7 apiece and I’ll determine if they need new rings or not.

Yeah, that's good to know. I can definitely put new gaskets if need. Thanks.

BierMuncher said:

View attachment 1940

Munch, did you clean that up, or did it come to you that sparkly and shiny? That looks a far sight better than the 4 for $60 I got from NB awhile back...damn, I might need a couple more cornies.

Bike N Brew said:
Munch, did you clean that up, or did it come to you that sparkly and shiny? That looks a far sight better than the 4 for $60 I got from NB awhile back...damn, I might need a couple more cornies.
No cleaning for me. They came that way.

Back