Corny Keg Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopstep

Reaction score
I just finished putting my DIPA in a cornelius keg after secondary fermentation and began carbonating but when I tried to pour beer out after 24 hours I got an ounce or so of cloudy yeast mixed brew and then it wouldn't pour anything else. After taking the tap off and messing with it I reattached it and same thing another ounce or so of yeast brew and nothing else. I suspect there may be a clog in the tube but has anyone else had trouble with a yeast layer clogging the tube in the keg? I thought I had enough of the sediment left in the secondary that I wouldn't run into this problem. The only other thing I can think of is that the connector I use for the tap is malfunctioning because the pressure seems fine.

Did you siphon a bunch of yeast from the secondary? It should be relativity clear if you let it sit the secondary for a week or so.

I don't secondary, but I wait weeks before I tap the keg. The first couple ounces are cloudy but that's it.

You may have a clogged dip tube. I'd pull it clean it, sanitize it, and replace it. Hook up the CO2 at 12 PSI and wait. Give your beer some time to clear.

Did you siphon a bunch of yeast from the secondary? It should be relativity clear if you let it sit the secondary for a week or so.

I don't secondary, but I wait weeks before I tap the keg. The first couple ounces are cloudy but that's it.

You may have a clogged dip tube. I'd pull it clean it, sanitize it, and replace it. Hook up the CO2 at 12 PSI and wait. Give your beer some time to clear.

I didn't think I got much yeast at all but not having used the tap system before I wasn't sure how much it took to clog the tube. I am carbonating at 5psi at 40F should I turn it up to 12psi when its time to pour it?

I wonder if you have a piece of hop particle clogging up your poppit on the "out" line, or if the hops clogged the diptube. You shouldn't be having any problems. Yeast doesn't clog tubes.

You're carbonating at 5 psi at 40 degrees? Geez, that's a pretty flat beer. Is it a British style "real" ale?

I agree. sounds like you got a piece of hops (or a grain particle) clogging your dip tube, or more likely, the poppet. You COULD try venting the tank (pull the vent ring) and pressurizing the beer side (the dip tube) while you pull the vent tube -this would in effect, blow out whatever is clogging your beer side -if it doesn't work, you haven't really lost anything.

Latest posts

Back