Corny keg portable eyewash station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo71665

Reaction score
Just had a buddy give me an emergency eyewash station that uses a keg to hold the water. I used to sell eye wash equipment years ago and never seen anything like this. It was used in a place that used to mix soaps so the outside is crudded up with sticky soap residue and dirt but I figured it would be fine for beer once cleaned. Working on getting some pictures up, just wondering if anybody has ever seen or dealt with something like this.

Overall shot

It's nasty but it's nasty with soap gunk. A wet rag and it cleans up like a new keg. I'm gonna pressure wash it when it's not 100 degrees out.

The label and my concern. I figured since the antibacterial additive is meant to be safe to spray in your eyes surely it can't be harmful enough a good washing will mean the keg is usable.

Nothing else I have 20 gallons of food safe degreaser now new in sealed 5 gallon Carboys, a free working computer tower, a bunch of other odd and ends, and an eyewash station for my shop.

looks nasty but I bet you can clean it up well and use it for beer. once you clean it i'd store some filtered (chlorine free) water in it for a few weeks then taste it to make sure you dont have any industrial goodies which contaminated that bad-boy.

I bought one of those on craigslist. It was brand new old stock and used a 10 gallon corny. I had to buy posts for the keg, but it was a bargain.

I am sure you can clean it, but I wouldn't bother - get a $30-40 used corny instead on craigslist. You may be able to get it super clean but mentally I will still think of these photos while drinking beer coming out of it.

I am sure you can clean it, but I wouldn't bother - get a $30-40 used corny instead on craigslist. You may be able to get it super clean but mentally I will still think of these photos while drinking beer coming out of it.

Yeah $30-$40 craigslist kegs don't exist everywhere. Right now there isn't a single keg on there in a 3 hour radius of me. I already have a few kegs so it's not like I really need another but free is free. It's been pressure washed, steam cleaned, and looks like any of the kegs I got new.:mug:

I've been behind the scenes of food plants like tyson, conagra, boarshead, jimmy dean, and others. If you have seen what I have with that mentality you would starve.

Yeah $30-$40 craigslist kegs don't exist everywhere. Right now there isn't a single keg on there in a 3 hour radius of me. I already have a few kegs so it's not like I really need another but free is free. It's been pressure washed, steam cleaned, and looks like any of the kegs I got new.:mug:

I've been behind the scenes of food plants like tyson, conagra, boarshead, jimmy dean, and others. If you have seen what I have with that mentality you would starve.

I got a few $35 kegs (ball lock) earlier this year. You can also buy them for $45-55 or so, for example:
http://www.kegconnection.com/conver...gallon-w-new-posts-new-lid-for-homebrew-soda/

less expensive if you wait for sales or buy more than 1.

Fine, go ahead and clean it. It's a lot of work but you can do it!

If it was me, I would consider it so rusty and dirty that it's borderline health hazard to drink anything out of this container.

That looks nasty but on the plus side it's Stainless Steel and will clean up fine. The outside is soap gunk not rust, the hard part is getting the sticker off. The inside has antibacterial additive and water not moldy soda. If people could see what used kegs look like before there cleaned they would never buy them. New posts and O rings for 25$ and your good to go.

PapaO

Back