corny keg lost pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
OK so I have 2 tap kegerator. I carbed the 2 beers that were in there. had a problem in the past with finding the the co2 tank empty and flat beer so this time I checked it continually. Had my brothers over, we drank, I continued to check it for at least a week after that and all was fine. I left it for a week and went to pour a beer last night and nothing. I checked the co2 gauge and it WAS EMPTY AGAIN !!!!! So frustrating not only does it cost 35 bucks to fill the thing but now my beer is flat. I cant understand how it can be a leak even a small one if it was fine for so long before it went empty. Anyone have any ideas ??

I found leaks in my corny between the spot weld and the in poppet. In addition, there was a small pin hole along a weld near the bottom. Are they new or used Cornys?

when I was cleaning cornies last week I found a beverage post that was leaking from the middle. I disassembled it and found that the o-ring around the top of the poppet was shredded. Easy fix - just replaced the poppet.

Don't know if this could be your problem but worth checking.

Best thing to do is to wipe soapy water over the weld-seams, the posts and the top when the keg is fully pressurized. Even small leaks will start to make bubbles in the soapy water.

Guess you should also check your quick-disconnects and your gas connections.

On the gas connection to the CO2 tank, are you using those flared plastic washers? That connection can be a reeal slow gas leak.

Let us know what you find!

Ok thanks I'll look into this stuff. Like I said in the past I know it was leaking but this time it happened over such a LONG period of time it seemed odd.

A spray bottle with mixed StarSan solution works well for finding leaks and you don't have to worry about cleaning it off like soap. Kegging gets very expensive if you have any leaks. I'd replace the gaskets and the poppets if necessary, it's way cheaper than having to fill the co2 tank. Check all the hose connections and regulator joints with spray too. I recently found that one of my regulators had a diaphragm leak, I accidentally sprayed starsan on the front of it and noticed bubbles forming on the relief hole in the cover. You can get rebuild kits for many regulators at the CHI Company. He also has any parts you may need for your kegs. Just give Matt a call if you have any questions. It's amazing how many kegs you can actually push with one tank if your system is tight.

I think the pull ring pressure release on one of my life leaks, SOMETIMES! It has a squished o-ring that looks a little beat up. None of my spares are even close in size. I might just get a replacement lid with a new pull ring

As long as the basic corny itself is sound, all you have are 2 posts and the lid.

I had one leaking from poppet - couldn't see or hear it, wouldn't bubble soap or star san.

Just buy a ton of orings and replace all of them.

UPDATE : I did some testing and have discovered after changing all o rings and and switching gas line inputs between kegs that the leak is from the post on one keg. I assume that the popet went bad seeing as the post itself is pretty solid and basic. Is this a common problem and if so do the universal popets work because I do not know which ones I have and need ?

UPDATE : I did some testing and have discovered after changing all o rings and and switching gas line inputs between kegs that the leak is from the post on one keg. I assume that the popet went bad seeing as the post itself is pretty solid and basic. Is this a common problem and if so do the universal popets work because I do not know which ones I have and need ?

A bad poppet will only cause a leak if the lines are disconnected, and it sounds like you had the lines connected when your gas tank went empty, so the issue wasn't a poppet. The poppet is just a simple check valve to keep the gas and/or beer from spraying out when you remove the QD. A leaky poppet with the lines connected will only leak into the line.

If you have a leak from a post fitting, it's most likely the diptube o-ring not sealing properly either against the post or against the diptube. When you replaced the diptube o-rings did you inspect the surfaces they mate to (top of keg post and underside of diptube flange)?

I tend to agree with you however when I fill the keg with gas and disconnect it leaks empty. Wouldn't that be the popet?

I tend to agree with you however when I fill the keg with gas and disconnect it leaks empty. Wouldn't that be the popet?

Could be, but it's just as likely something else. What is convincing you it's the poppet? Didn't you lose a tank of gas with the lines connected? If so, you had a leak somewhere other than a poppet, which was my point.

Pressurize the keg, disconnect the gas, and put a little soapy water on the top of the poppet. If you see bubbles, the poppet is leaking. Do the same at the base of the post fittings, around the edges of the lid, and the base of the PRV. You can also wrap duct tape around the top of the keg so that it sticks up, forming a sort of bowl. Fill the duct tape bowl with water and look for bubbles.

Ok thanks I will try those things next. Just so frustrating at 40 bucks per tank of gas

Further testing and developments :

I filled the keg with gas hear a hissing sound when the gas line is connected. Disconnect the gas and it stops. Soapy water no bubbles. Re connect the gas and hissing plus bubbles from soapy water. I thought maybe it was the connection from the gas line so I put my other gas connection from my other keg on, same result. Bottom line is what would make it leak only when the gas line is connected with all brand new O rings ?

can't be the QD. I have a 2 line set up and tried both QD on both kegs and only the one post leaked when connected. I am at a total loss.

Further testing and developments :

I filled the keg with gas hear a hissing sound when the gas line is connected. Disconnect the gas and it stops. ....
That hissing sound may just be the CO2 entering the keg. An empty keg will require a lot longer time to stabilize pressure than a full one.

Other possibility, outer o-ring on the gas post is leaking CO2 out from under the QD. Leaks when the QD is on but stops when its off and the poppet is sealing. Sometimes its hard to soap the underside of the QD and check it visually for bubbles. Maybe turn the keg upside down and fill the QD with soap solution after its connected.

when the QD is connected its definitely bubbling inside where the QD connects with the post. I assumed it was the O ring on the post but I changed that.

I have had this problem on the cheap Chinese kegs, leaks connected or disconnected from gas. Take a look at the dip tube where it is flared it is at an angle or the flair has a stress fracture allowing a leak around the internal o-rings, and out the bottom of the post wwhere it meets the keg
As previously a little star san or soapy water while under pressure makes it easy to find this leak

There is a difference in sound between gas rushing into a keg and the much higher-pitched sound of a gas leak to the open.

Can you invert the keg, with QDs and hoses attached and under pressure, into a small tub or bucket of water? That should tell you where the leak is.

The post can be defective or damaged enough (burrs), the O-ring can't form an adequate seal. A slightly thicker walled o-ring may do it. And keg lube. Inspect the post for cracks, burrs, or dents.

I have a few posts where the top plate (around the poppet) is bent down on one side. But it's immaterial as that's inside the QD when connected.

Not really there is still beer in it. I know that it's got to be coming from the post somehow. Just not sure why it only leaks when the gas QD is connected.

The post's O-ring and the QD should form a gas-tight seal. Whatever is inside that "chamber" (poppets etc.) is immaterial. Check the post and the O-ring gap for defects and deformation. Use keg lube, or Vaseline in a pinch.

Another possibility, your O-rings aren't thick enough. How easy is it to pull the QD off? There should be some resistance.

I will say this. It looks like maybe there is a slight "ding" for lack of a better word on the post near the grove for the o ring. Maybe I put a small groove in the post when I was tightening it ??

keg post.jpg

hows this ?

Is that a new o-ring? It doesn't have any cracks, does it?

It's profile looks a little low, not sticking far out beyond the post's rim. There may not be enough rubber meeting the QD. How does the QD feel, when you detach it? Kinda loose, slipping off easier than on the other keg?

Also, look on the inside of that channel the o-ring is in. A bad burr or unevenness in there can let gas seep through. The o-ring IS the only seal.

Brand new. I think there may be a slight grove in the post near the o ring groove. May just get a new post to be sure.

+1 on a new post. I have had the same issue in the past. Going to pour a pint of brew and having no CO2 sucks. Went through 2 tanks before I found all of my leaks.

At $10 I would replace the post. It looks a little banged up in the pic and a lot cheaper than another tank.

Also I agree on the starSan, get it in a spray bottle and soak every connection. It bubbles up pretty quick.

Back