Cornelius Kegs Discontinued

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'll do it. This is a very touchy subject around here.

What is different than buying one is that they cost the brewery close to $200 each and you only put down a $30 deposit. Technically your stealing the breweries property. You are only buying the beer inside and borrowing the keg to drink the beer. The implied contract is that you will return it when finished. The deposit is intended to encourage you to return the keg rather than take it to a scrap yard. There are legit ways to acquire a sankey keg but stealing one is not something that is considered appropriate arround here.

ahhh... i see... i didn't know they costed that much. Thanks for the info. I guess if i ever feel the need to get a sanke ill know for the future. I guess that makes sense though since a new corny is at least $100 :mug:

you can get them on CL. If you are in a large city you can usually get them for under $30 each. Or if you are afraid you might be buying "stolen property" they can be had for about $75 from the Chi Company. My 1/6 will be used to take brew to friends houses that have sanke setups until I build a portable system like BM or Edwort.

you can get them on CL. If you are in a large city you can usually get them for under $30 each. Or if you are afraid you might be buying "stolen property" they can be had for about $75 from the Chi Company. My 1/6 will be used to take brew to friends houses that have sanke setups until I build a portable system like BM or Edwort.

how do you fill it and clean it?

I have no Idea what the kegman kit is. I needed to replace the seal because it has been compressed and sitting in the AZ sun for so long I don't think it will reseal. The new one should last through several fills. To get an idea what the AZ sun does to a keg I used an IR thermometer on one that had been in the sun for about 6 hours, 183*. When brewing I never have to add heat to the mash tun. In fact I use an umbrella to shade it from overheating.:D

I have no Idea what the kegman kit is. I needed to replace the seal because it has been compressed and sitting in the AZ sun for so long I don't think it will reseal. The new one should last through several fills. To get an idea what the AZ sun does to a keg I used an IR thermometer on one that had been in the sun for about 6 hours, 183*. When brewing I never have to add heat to the mash tun. In fact I use an umbrella to shade it from overheating.:D

:eek: thats nuts. so it is possible to take apart a sanke keg and use it eh? or do you have a converted corny?

The "kegman" kit basically gets you a new o-ring and a easier to remove conventional snap ring(easier if you have snap ring pliers) to replace the harder to remove retaining ring that comes on the keg. Linky however these are not necessary you can reuse the existing retaining ring it is just a little more effort to remove each time.

OH!

And it goes without saying that you should make dang sure all the pressure is off the keg before opening. Lest the sankey spear become an actual spear!

more like a club since the valve has a bit of weight to it. But yes it is easy to take them apart. There is a thread on it. Basically drain the pressure(do this on its side to prevent a beer shower from any leftover beer in the keg), remove the snap ring and rotate the valve so the keyways align, pull the valve and spear assembly out.

more like a club since the valve has a bit of weight to it. But yes it is easy to take them apart. There is a thread on it. Basically drain the pressure(do this on its side to prevent a beer shower from any leftover beer in the keg), remove the snap ring and rotate the valve so the keyways align, pull the valve and spear assembly out.

linky to thread? i searched under sanke already but couldn't find it since there were so many hits on the search. I have a friend with a kegerator so if i picked up a full sized keg from CHI or something i could bring it to his house for when we have parties.

edit: never mind i found it :D

Been kinda busy, just got 20 keg order from chi. Dusty on the outside, only one has leaked(bad poppits). I have sent my email to them and suggested they just toss a couple in the mail. A few minor dents but I have ones in worse shape. The post seals are rotted, but they came with new seals and need to be torn down and to be cleaned anyway. All in all not bad for 26.95 each. Too bad only 4 are mine.

so you had to buy a new seal kit and have them shipped. Now what did they cost? 26.95 was with new gaskets and shipping.
I got my first 2 from same place you did, but lost the link so I couldn't price check. thanks for the link again. I am curious what shipping was. I bought last year and dont remember through my beer haze.

so you had to buy a new seal kit and have them shipped. Now what did they cost? 26.95 was with new gaskets and shipping.
I got my first 2 from same place you did, but lost the link so I couldn't price check. thanks for the link again. I am curious what shipping was. I bought last year and dont remember through my beer haze.

I don't know if he still has any, but Inesco (I think that's his ID) had them for $17 plus shipping, and they came with packages of new gaskets, and they were all cleaned and held pressure. With shipping, around $85 for four, I believe.

Ouch. Just went to that link...before shipping the price is almost equal at $79.96. Then estimate shipping....are you sitting down? $43!!!! That puts this at over $120. CHI is $96 shipped and free o-rings.

Ouch. Just went to that link...before shipping the price is almost equal at $79.96. Then estimate shipping....are you sitting down? $43!!!! That puts this at over $120. CHI is $96 shipped and free o-rings.

check your chi price again, I dont think that is shipped. If so you live closer. grats.
or were you pricing the single handles?

You write for a living, yet you cannot be bothered to use capital letters and punctuation? No one expects you to write perfectly, but your posts are nearly impossible to read.

BierMuncher said:
Nothing personal, but I suspect that folks are skipping over your posts due to the horrific writing style.

Pardon me, but couldn't this have been handled more diplomatically by PM?

Doing stuff like this on a public forum then allowing a bunch of others jump on the guy too just seems over the top to me. The pile on mentality of many on this site really turns me off!

Just exactly how is stuff like this suppose to make people want to spend their hard earned money to join this little forum ?

I am myself guilty of faulty punctuation and capitalization. Those posts though not directed at me, made me more aware of the problems others possibly have reading posts. I took it for what it was intended, not to belittle but to inform. And have used the info for better communication. I'm not kissing mod a$$, but if it helps get my questions answered then I have no problem taking an extra second before hitting post.

I took it for what it was intended, not to belittle but to inform. .

While that does seems to be the case for BierMuncher. I believe a PM would have been much better and more appropriate.

Yuri's post was clearly a slap at the guy! And piling on when it was totally unnecessary!

I can't imagine corny kegs being discontinued. I was at the county fair over lunch today and almost every food vendor tents had 4-10 corny kegs outside their tent and I saw the pepsi golf cart driving around with 4 more cornies strapped to the back. I wonder if the local pepsi bottling plant sells or gives away old corny kegs...hmm.

Back