Cornelius keg for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally martin

Reaction score
Cooked up a batch of nut brown ale.. Primary completed without a hitch.. I always do a secondary but this time I'm doing it in one of my cornys.. Figured I'd reduce the risk of infection by eliminating a step and going right to the keg.. Smart? Dumb? Im fairly new to this so looking for input.. Not that I can change anything at this point just seeing what opinions might be out there.. Thanks and have a great day! Cheers

I've secondaried (sp?) in the keg. However, I did rack off into the final keg as there is a bit of settlement.

This is a great technique for lagers (for conditioning).

Plan on serving directly from the secondary? If so, I have a few ideas to help clarify.

Yes that's my plan.. I figured the first couple pints might be chunky.. I've heard of using gelatin.. But i was pretty careful siphoning into the keg so we will see!!

Yes that's my plan.. I figured the first couple pints might be chunky.. I've heard of using gelatin.. But i was pretty careful siphoning into the keg so we will see!!

When I did the same, the first glass or glass and 1/2 was cloudy each time I poured from the tap.

Here is a Blood Orange Wheat, cold crashed for 3 days, gelatin fined for 2 days and racked off the goop.
BloodOrangeWheat.jpg

I'm not to concerned about clarity.. My beers always clear until chilled.. Still learning

Easy to do and makes a world of difference. People whom drink my homebrew equate with pro brewing whereas cloudy = home made.

I'd be glad to assist with info I have on clarifying if interested.

Egad, the photo standing in front of an InBev store (Northern Brewer)... not so sure

Only store I have close by.. And it's not that close..Hate buying online.. But ill accept any info as I am trying to make better beer all the time.. So far visually not great but taste has been spot on

Well to be honest yes.. Enjoyed by all.. Even my jombie dust was voted above the real deal by my buddies.. Or maybe they were being nice!! But a few buddies are no brewing at home after trying my slop!

That would be awesome! I pretty much went straight to all grain.. Bought a used 5 gallon cooler mash tun and and through a few pieces together here n there.. Have ideas of what I truly want to do but for now my system isn't the prettiest or fancy shmancy but it works!

We all probably began all grain with a 5 or 10 gallon cooler mush tun.

I thought I made decent beer in the past. However, once I built my electric brewery and brewed with it, I realized my prior beer doesn't come close to what I now make. Why? Mash temp is the key.

Last edited:
However, you are on your way! Keep at it. Learn the process.

Friends visited this past summer and brought Wisconsin Brewing Company beers. Good drinking and gave me ideas about using flaked corn in my next beer.

As I tell my daughter, never, never, allow others to tell you "you're not good enough", "it's not good enough". We're only limited in life by what WE tell ourselves we can't do.

Remember too, if things were easy then everyone would do them. The best things are hard to do and not everyone does them.

Used flaked corn in my last cream ale.. I guess it's for head retention but I think it added a sweet aspect to it.. But what do I know!

I routinely use my corny's for "secondary", although there is no fermentation going on. My beer is finished and I use the corny's to clear, age, etc. If I don't have any room in my keezer, or if I need to free up a fermenter, into a corny it goes if it's finished.

I clear with gelatin so I get some sediment in the bottom of the keg, but it's not a big deal. I image there would be a good layer of yeast at the bottom if I did a real secondary. That said, don't see that as a problem either. Just pump that first pint out and you should be good to go. Hell, thats the Brewers Cup. :)

I routinely use my corny's for "secondary", although there is no fermentation going on. My beer is finished and I use the corny's to clear, age, etc. If I don't have any room in my keezer, or if I need to free up a fermenter, into a corny it goes if it's finished.

I clear with gelatin so I get some sediment in the bottom of the keg, but it's not a big deal. I image there would be a good layer of yeast at the bottom if I did a real secondary. That said, don't see that as a problem either. Just pump that first pint out and you should be good to go. Hell, thats the Brewers Cup. :)

Kinda like the Devils cut!

It wasn't done fermenting but it never is when I secondary.. So i imagine it's gonna do a little more fermenting in the corny.. I usually secondary for a couple weeks then keg.. This is all kinda new to me I got 4 brews under my belt.. And 1/2 dozen 1 gallon batches under my belt so I'm continually trying to better my craft, there's a long way to go for me but I feel I'm getting better each batch.. I appreciate everyone's input and this site is pretty sweet too..

It wasn't done fermenting but it never is when I secondary.. So i imagine it's gonna do a little more fermenting in the corny.. I usually secondary for a couple weeks then keg.. This is all kinda new to me I got 4 brews under my belt.. And 1/2 dozen 1 gallon batches under my belt so I'm continually trying to better my craft, there's a long way to go for me but I feel I'm getting better each batch.. I appreciate everyone's input and this site is pretty sweet too..

if it does ferment more in the corny you might check carbonation before you force carb if you plan too, i would assume if it ferments it will absorb the co2 over time and carb itself similar to bottle conditioning.

have you tried cutting an inch or so off the dip tube in the keg to get it a little further off the cake? thinking about trying this myself.

Back