Corn meal question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagnasty

Reaction score
I have read alot of post here about using corn meal,,, but I can't find any thread on how to do it. Can you guys point me to a thread that explains it,,, I tried to do it today, but,,,disaster, ended up in the backyard.

Read about a cereal mash.

Thanks, I tried that and it refers me back to "see cereal mash"

Like,,,, how do you do it,, do you dump it in the pot and boil it???,,, do you put it in a bag and "tea bag it",,, or do you do it and not tell anyone else how to do it???:drunk:

Thanks, I tried that and it refers me back to "see cereal mash"

Like,,,, how do you do it,, do you dump it in the pot and boil it???,,, do you put it in a bag and "tea bag it",,, or do you do it and not tell anyone else how to do it???:drunk:

Corn meal needs to be mashed and prior to that it needs to be cooked to gelatinize its' starches. That cooking process is the cereal mash. The meal is cooked with a portion of malted barley just like a hot breakfast cereal. This porridge is then added to the main mash for conversion. Flaked corn may not be as glamorous but it's much easier to use as it can be added directly to the mash with the other grains.

Corn meal needs to be mashed and prior to that it needs to be cooked to gelatinize its' starches. That cooking process is the cereal mash. The meal is cooked with a portion of malted barley just like a hot breakfast cereal. This porridge is then added to the main mash for conversion. Flaked corn may not be as glamorous but it's much easier to use as it can be added directly to the mash with the other grains.

Thanks BigEd,,,

Back