Cooling Suggestions.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
So I just started my mash for Edworts Haus Pale, and I noticed that my wort chiller has a hole in it. Dont really know how that happened, and I dont have the time to get the stuff to make another one. Any suggestions or tricks to cool 5gal of wort with out a wort chiller? I guess Im gonna have to use an Ice bath. This sucks!

A ice bath is always a choice (if you can't get it soldered.) A rubbermade tub will work if you don't have a big sink. I have used a cast iron sink and cooled five gallons in less than a hour.

Unless you have a ton of ice, i would just do a few water baths first to knock down some of the heat. When you are down to 100 - 120 or so than get out the ice. Large tub / bath tub works pretty well cause you can use a lot of water relative to the volume of wort.

Big tub, cold water, followed up w/ ice and water will work well...no worries.

Have a HDPE container? Drain the hot wort, without aerating it, into the container, put the lid on, pitch in 24 hours.

It is called No Chill, you can do it if you have HDPE.

Have a HDPE container? Drain the hot wort, without aerating it, into the container, put the lid on, pitch in 24 hours.

It is called No Chill, you can do it if you have HDPE.

this might be for me? how critical is it to have minimal head space as done w/ the collapsible type containers? Would this work in a bucket w/ a gallon or two of head space?

this might be for me? how critical is it to have minimal head space as done w/ the collapsible type containers? Would this work in a bucket w/ a gallon or two of head space?

Yeah, it will work with a gallon or two of headspace. You see, it will only be in there 24 hours before you pitch, so O2 in the headspace isnt really a concern.

Move your hops at 20 minutes or less, to the HDPE vessel too if you can.

The beer and headspace will shrink, so there will need to be SOME give in the container.

Went with a stock Ice Bath. I put it in my tub. Got down to 70 degrees in about an hour and a half. Not to bad. Its in the fermentor, and hopefully the yeast is doing its thing. Thanks for the advice.

Back