Cooler MLT and HLT question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEricksen

Reaction score
Well everyone I am new here and have been browsing the forums for a while. I have found some great homebrew setups and have mixed up some of the ideas I have seen. I am not sure if this is the right place.
I am looking for some advice here. I am planning to use coolers for my HLT and MLT as I switch to 5 gallon AG batches. I know that I will need room for at least 10 gallons(grain and mash water) for mashing and 10 gallons in the HLT for sparging and achieving pre-boil volume. Rather then spending the money for the round 10 gallon igloo I am thinking of going with a slightly larger chest cooler; this will leave room for a homemade cPVC false bottom and cPVC sparge arm, also I want extra room in the HLT for a copper coil for step sparging in the future. This leads me to my first question, do you see anything wrong with using the chest coolers and would 52 quarts be big enough?

For heating the HLT I want to use either 1 higher wattage heating coil or 2 lower wattage coils, as well as a temp controller. I think with these combined it will take very little energy to get the water to temp and even less to maintain the correct temp. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Well everyone I am new here and have been browsing the forums for a while. I have found some great homebrew setups and have mixed up some of the ideas I have seen. I am not sure if this is the right place.
I am looking for some advice here. I am planning to use coolers for my HLT and MLT as I switch to 5 gallon AG batches. I know that I will need room for at least 10 gallons(grain and mash water) for mashing and 10 gallons in the HLT for sparging and achieving pre-boil volume. Rather then spending the money for the round 10 gallon igloo I am thinking of going with a slightly larger chest cooler; this will leave room for a homemade cPVC false bottom and cPVC sparge arm, also I want extra room in the HLT for a copper coil for step sparging in the future. This leads me to my first question, do you see anything wrong with using the chest coolers and would 52 quarts be big enough?

For 5 gal batches 52 qt is fine.

My 10 gal system uses a cheap 60 qt igloo with only one 1500 watt element in it (I boil with propane). I do not bother with a temperature controller but it would not be an issue. 14 gal of 50F water heats to 167F in about 45 minutes. I just fill it the evening before the brew morning, plug it when I let the dogs out, drink my coffee, grind my grain, drink another coffee and my strike water is ready.

I love your planning to expand but do try to start simple. Single infusion mash or stepping with hot water if you absolutely have to. If you own 6' ft ladder already, use it as a gravity feed 3-tier stand. As you refine your craft and find what you like most about brewing, expand from there.

For 5 gal batches 52 qt is fine.

My 10 gal system uses a cheap 60 qt igloo with only one 1500 watt element in it (I boil with propane). I do not bother with a temperature controller but it would not be an issue. 14 gal of 50F water heats to 167F in about 45 minutes. I just fill it the evening before the brew morning, plug it when I let the dogs out, drink my coffee, grind my grain, drink another coffee and my strike water is ready.

I love your planning to expand but do try to start simple. Single infusion mash or stepping with hot water if you absolutely have to. If you own 6' ft ladder already, use it as a gravity feed 3-tier stand. As you refine your craft and find what you like most about brewing, expand from there.

I have been doing gallon AG brews on my stove top and 5 gallon partial extract over all propane. I am just trying to step my equipment up to being able to do 5 gallon AG with the ability to upgrade it further as time goes on. I like the idea of being able to turn the HLT on while I get ready in the morning so I dont have to wait for it. I built a gravity feed stand from scrap wood last summer. I think this month I will buy the coolers and just heat the water on propane. After a few batches like that I will buy the heating element. What element do you use?

I went with a Camco 02852/02853 1500W 120V Screw-In Lime Life Foldback Water Heater Element - Ultra Low Watt Density from amazon.

It takes 45 mins to get 6.0 Gallons to strike temp 168F in about 45-60m (in a cold garage (50F) with the water temp around 58F.)

Recently it has taken a little longer. I did dry fire it twice for a while and it glowed white hot. It might be a little weakened.

As for the breaker, go with 20A. I have so many other things plugged in that a 15A was insufficient.

While breakers are cheap ($6), you have to know what you are doing in the breaker panel. An electrician work friend did mine--I owe him some beer as payment.

As for the PID. It is not needed if you are going to sit with it, but I like staying in the warm house having coffee and not having to worry about it running over.

Bought my coolers. I am buying the bulkhead for one and using the bulkhead from my smaller MLT for the other. I am going to run some batches like that and see how they hold the heat(they are rated for 5 days of cold so I am hoping for a couple hours). Then I will consider the heating element. Perhaps only to maintain the strike water temp once the mash has started. But I will save that. I appreciate all the advice. I am in a rental house so that makes me shy away from anything involving the breakers.

Back