cooler conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumanchu

Reaction score
I've bought all the parts to convert a cooler to a mash tun. Well, all except the cooler.

Are there any specific brands that I should or shouldn't get? I'm worried about my beer tasting like plastic or plastic actually coming off in my beer.

many thanks.

I have a 10 gallon IGLOO water cooler.

You shouldn't have to worry about your beer tasting like plastic unless you are somehow boiling your mash in the plastic cooler (or buy a seriously non-food grade container). Mash temp ranges are fine for water coolers.

EDIT: LOL if you click on that amazon link and see the "Frequently Bought Together" list.

I bought a 10 gallon cooler from home depot, it's a big red rubbermaid cooler.

I have a 52qt coleman xtreme that I bought from kmart on sale for $28. It is a beast when it comes to holding temperatures - it advertises that it can keep ice for 5 days even with 90+ degree ambient heat. In my experience, when I preheat it it doesn't drop a single degree over the course of the mash.

I use a 48 qt square Ice Cube cooler, have had it for several years, with a home-made manifold constructed out of cpvc. Holds the temperature nicely, and is easy to clean up afterwards. What are you going to use for a manifold?

Back