Cooldown Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefLenT

Reaction score
I've been doing a full boil extract brewing method,using a 25ft. 3/8 inch copper imersion chiller.My brew pot is 35 qts. 14 1/4 inch diameter and 11 1/4tall.My cool down times have been about 40 minutes to get the wort to 80 degrees.This seems too long based on what I've read.Anyone have any suggestions?

Cool down time doesn't matter anymore. Read up on no chill and whatever pops up at the bottom of your screen on the search too. Chill time has basically become a convenience factor. I like to cool to pitching temp to get the brew day over with 100% ; others are happy waiting to the next day for it to cool by itself with no effort and then pitch.
It it's just your chiller efficiency you are worried about, how are you chilling? A pond pump and a couple buckets of icewater work great for me.

-OCD

25 foot is probably a bit small for full boils if you're looking for speed. Another thing to check is the temp of the water you're using to pump through the chiller. If that water is too warm you might consider doing a pre-chiller. Otherwise you might have to look at a larger chiller if you're shooting for faster cool down times.

Back