Cool Tricks you have learned over the years.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine aren't that brilliant...

If you brew in an apartment a $2 plastic plastic drop cloth goes a long ways in preventing any damage or spills on hardwood floors.

If you set your 6.5 gallon carboy on top of a smaller empty pail it is 10 times easier to shake and aerate the wort.

If your fermenter is filled with foam simply use a spray bottle and spray fresh sanitizer against the foam - it will knock it down and make draining easier.

If you have to use an ice bath a good alternative is to use the sparging method and use a small outlet hose to allow the bath to drain if the water/ice gets warm. Than refill the tub with cold water and ice. This reduces cooling time quite a bit.

If your brewing inside in the kitchen, use rubber backed mats to cover the floor. No spillage can go through the rubber. They are non-slip. And soft on your toes. When your done just throw them in the washer. No more getting yelled at for sticky floors when you are done. Or pulling out the dreaded mop.

To sanitize racking canes and tubing, I've been using a wall paper trough. They are long enough to hold the canes and don't require more than a quart, or two of sanitizer.

I think I might have had one too many to get this one Jaybird. Shed some light?

I just take my IC and pick up on it (pulling it about 3/4 of the way out of the wort) then push it back down in the boil kettle several times. It will push a lot of O2 down into the wort. I will start doing this @ about 80* or so. You'll see it doesn’t take much to get your wort saturated.

I just take my IC and pick up on it (pulling it about 3/4 of the way out of the wort) then push it back down in the boil kettle several times. It will push a lot of O2 down into the wort. I will start doing this @ about 80* or so. You'll see it doesn’t take much to get your wort saturated.

That's how I aerate all my batches. An IC is just like a giant whisk.

IC_Aeration.jpg

IC_Aeration_2.jpg

A spray bottle full of Starsan is extremely handy to keep around. I have two now, one for the fermentation room and one in the brew room.

You can't have too many 5 gallon orange "Homer" buckets on hand.

Steeping grains in a 155*F warm oven makes simple and cheap yeast starters.

It's REALLY HARD to ruin beer. RDWHAHB!

A spray bottle full of Starsan is extremely handy to keep around. I have two now, one for the fermentation room and one in the brew room.

You can't have too many 5 gallon orange "Homer" buckets on hand.

Steeping grains in a 155*F warm oven makes simple and cheap yeast starters.

It's REALLY HARD to ruin beer. RDWHAHB!

"Homer" buckets? I have no idea what you mean by that... pic/link?

So the bottling over the dishwasher trick is really amazing! Used it while bottling our last batch and it worked like a charm! And no clean up! Kudos to the incredibly intelligent individual who discovered this seemingly obvious trick! Thanks for the tip!

When using oxyclean to remove the gunk at the top of a carboy, rather than filling it all the way up, just add the oxyclean, fill it only 1/3 full with water, then put a bucket on top (preferably the 5 gal. type) and flip the whole thing over and let it do it's thing.

That's a great idea. I'M doing that right now. It going to speed my carboy cleaning up like crazy.

Sorry if a repeat, didnt read all 6 pages.

Using a plastic "T" and two "L" shaped tubing connectors make a two pronged bottling attachment to your bottling bucket. My original design was a "Y" adapter but the bottling wands stuck out toward 4 and 8 on a clock, so the angle was no good.

The "T" and "L" adapters let two bottling wands point straight down and I can fill two bottles at once.
[Note: You need some small pieces of tubing to connect everything.]

I just learned this one this past weekend:

When vorlaufing, put the lid from the top of a tupperware container on top of the grain bed in the mash tun and then pour the recirculated wort directly on top of that. The lid will float, and you can pour the wort in a lot faster and still not disturb the grain bed.

Much like the box on top of the carboy trick, I cut a hole in a trash bag for the airlock and cover my carboy from light. Easy and cheap!

Using the dish washer/oven door bottling trick I use a large pot to hold the bottles. It holds ten bottles plus any overflow. It is tight enough so bottles don't try to fall over while filling. Transport filled bottles to counter for capping. You can return overflow to the bottling bucket.

Back