Cool Ferment Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafae

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch, a Hefe in a dark closet of mystery. This mysterious closest of chemical reactions and possibly death fluctuates from 58-64 degrees. I had the brew in a primary at around 63 degrees for 4 days. I transferred it over to a secondary after I got a consistent hydrometer reading of 1.016 on two consecutive days. It has been sitting in the closet at 60 degrees for about a week.

The yeast (wyeast 3068 weihenstephan weizen) has a threshold of 64-75 degrees. I am wondering if this should be okay to bottle condition for a couple of weeks or if i should leave it in the secondary longer?

And yes, I know i should get a heat belt.

Thanks!

either works fine. typically people keep their bottles in the 70s so they carb faster. cool temps slow conditioning but your temps aren all that cold.

you should be fine. I agree with Tipsy that your temps aren't that far out of the range. The only thing you may notice is a little more clove notes with less banana due to the colder temps. But again, since it wasn't that much colder that the recommended range, you may not notice a difference at all. good luck.

IIRC, Jamil likes to ferment this yeast around 62 and claims you get the perfect 'hefe' profile, so you should be golden... Next time, just leave it in the primary for 14 days, then bottle.

If you were around 63 ambient, seems like you would have been right in the right temp range for the wort. I have a dead guy clone going with pacman at 60 and the ambient is about 50-55.

Thanks for the input. Can't wait to get this bottled and started one batch #2! It's amazing how much you learn from a single batch.

Latest posts

Back