Cooking ideas for overcarbed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DregAddict

Reaction score
So I made a Jalapeno Blonde Ale in November that turned out really good. I added quite a lot of roasted jalapenos to the primary, and it gave the beer a really spicy kick. I drank most of the bottles and gave away quite a few in the first couple of months, but I kept 6 of them stored away at room temp until recently.

Unfortunately when I went to open another bottle, it was way overcarbed. I'm not talking about shooting to the ceiling overcarbed, but it was gushing a good 6-8 inches over the rim of the bottle. Because of this I could get very little drinkable beer out of the bottle, and what was left after the foam settled was pretty flat.

So, I decided instead of dumping the other bottles, or trying to come up with some complicated solution, I would instead come up with other ways to use the beer. After all, I really enjoyed the flavor of the beer and wouldn't want it to go to waste.

My first idea was to make a beer bread with one of the bottles. Beer bread is really simple to make. Mix 12 oz. of beer with 3 cups flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and about 1/4 cup melted butter. Pour the dough into a bread pan and put it in a 375F oven for about an hour. For my bread I also sliced up a couple of fresh jalapenos and mixed those into the dough. The bread turned out great, and had a nice savory flavor to it. I might make some chili tomorrow, melt some cheddar on a couple slices, and then use them for dipping.

The other idea I have for using some of the other overcarbed bottles is to use them in marinades for meats. I think that if I mixed the jalapeno beer with some lemon and lime juice it would make a good marinade for a cut of sirloin.

One word of advice for catching all the beer from the bottle when it is gushing:

Place the bottle in a deep mixing bowl, put that in the sink, and then open the bottle and let it foam out over the sides and into the bowl. If you have a bottle that is way overcarbed and shooting really high, I would suggest doing the same thing, but putting a large ziplock bag over the bottle. Open the bottle under the bag and secure the bag with your off hand the best you can.

Any other ideas for using beer that has become much too overcarbed to drink, but that has good flavor and would compliment a dish?

Chill em way down to minimize the head...

Yeah, unfortunately I had them in the fridge for a couple of days before I opened the first(of the last 6) and found out it was overcarbed. It's my own fault. I knew when I first drank one a few months ago that it was a little overcarbed, so I should have stored the others in my garage fridge, instead of at room temp for 3 more months.

Emeril has a steamed crab recipe that calls for beer instead of water. I made it once and it came out great. You can find it on Foodnetwork.com.

Back