Converting a cold room into a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
Currently I brew 5-10 gallon batches in my garage which is detached from my house without a water supply. I end up mashing in the kitchen, dragging my equipment outside and inside, etc. It works, but it's far from my ideal setup.

In my home there is a cold room which is under my front concrete patio which is currently unused. I throw some of my brewing equipment in there when I'm not using it, but other then that it's 4 concrete walls and about 8' x 10' of space.

I've seen http://theelectricbrewery.com/ and the job they have done is absolutely brilliant and inspiring, but theres no way I have room in the budget for something that... nice. That doesnt mean I couldn't do a 'not as serious' version that accompishes the same thing.

My goals would be
-----------------
1) All my brewing done in one room, and all brewing related equipment stored in that same room. No more hauling equipment all over the house/back yard.

2) Running a chiller year round. Cooling is a pain in the ass in the winter in Canada. No outside water for 3-4 months out of a year.

My main concerns:
-----------------
1) Ventilation: I want to use 1 natural gas burner. There are currently 3 6" wide holes cut for air circulation in the cold room. I'm thinking I could install a high end range fan of some type and that would evacuate the CO2/Steam.

2) Permits? Also, if I put this together, would I need some sort of permit for it? I mean it's sort of like a basement kitchenette right? I'd definitely get contractors to run the natural gas / install the hood fan.

3) SWMBO. I think I could sell her on this fairly easily though. We're not using the space anyway. no more walking in and out constantly, messes in the kitchen, etc.

Obviously I'm not even in the planning stages yet. I'd be curious to hear some opinions from you guys on my concerns.

... I'd be curious to hear some opinions from you guys on my concerns.

I am building a brew room in my basement and plan on using propane as natural gas in not available and the cost of the electric equipment is to high. I have not gotten to far in my build yet but here is my plan. I will be using three 6" low pressure burners mostly because they burn more efficiently than high pressure . These are specific for propane but I am sure you can find ones for natural gas. I will be installing a 140 cubic foot per minute exhaust fan{6 inch vent} (room is 11' X 7' with a 7' 4" ceiling) so the fan will cycle the air in less than 5 minutes. I have an 80 cubic foot per minute inline fan in a 4 inch duct to bring air in. Both vents go to the exterior. A good commercial grade fan is necessary and a 6 inch exhaust will be plenty. You could get a good commercial kitchen exhaust fan as long as you have good air flow in. My brew room will not so I am bring in fresh via an in line fan. I plan on using a 20lb tank and bringing it in only when brewing. The brew room is to far from the rest of the house's propane service to run pipe (would be at least 30 feet). As long as you provide good ventilation and use burners rated for "indoor" use I would say go for it. I am on a budget as well and doing all of the work myself, so it slow going and can only get materials in bits and pieces. The big exhaust fan is a killer as the commercial grade fans that are built to run constantly are pretty costly.
I know in my area that permits are not needed unless the room is more than 100 sq feet and this one is not. I would check with local officials as to permits. Good Luck

Interesting. Hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple more questions...

I will be installing a 140 cubic foot per minute exhaust fan

Are you using an industrial/commercial grade setup to achieve this? Most standard range/hood fans I've been looking at start at around 200CFM. I'm thinking this should be plenty.

You could get a good commercial kitchen exhaust fan as long as you have good air flow in

Is the air in fan strictly necessary? I'm wondering if the current holes that provide passive air flow would be adequite

As long as you provide good ventilation and use burners rated for "indoor" use I would say go for it.

Hmm people rate some propane burners as indoor? I'm pretty sure my Blichmann top tier burner is NOT rated for indoor... In any event, buying a new burner is not the end of the world for me.

One other question. I'dbe curious to see what model of fan you're using for inline air? Would they sell this kind of thing at a home depot/lowes?

crypt0 said:
One other question. I'dbe curious to see what model of fan you're using for inline air? Would they sell this kind of thing at a home depot/lowes?

I am pretty sure he would be using some thing like this http://www.princessauto.com/all-seasons/farm/ventilation/duct-fans/list-all and since you live in Canada you have access to princess auto:) I sourced a crazy amount of my parts from there for my recently completed build, everything from cornys to heatsinks and even wire!

Latest posts

Back