Converting a carport into a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyabob

Reaction score
I am at the very start of a project to convert a carport which is attached to my garage into a beer cave. The dimensions are 22'4" by 15'8". I brew with a 10 gallon more beer sculpture using propane but I am thinking about at least putting in the capability to go electric. The floor is currently asphalt which is very uneven. Any suggestions on layout, what to do about the floor - replace?, ventilation design, heat resistance for the wall near the kettles?, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Electric is an awesome idea for any enclosed space. With electric you can insulate your equipment and not have to worry about treating a wall for heat. I would definitely build a hood over whatever location you are brewing in with a fan to leads outside of the space, preferably away from house and any exposed wood. If you have access to any water lines, install a line with a valve that runs straight to your mash tun/chiller. This prevents having to either move the system or water for the system.

May be helpful, may not be... either way it gives you something to think about.

Pictures would be great to offer advice.

As for the flooring, how bad is it? If you can walk on it fine, you should be able to stabilize most any furniture to be level and safe to brew on. Otherwise you could easily get some PVC garage tiles to make a more level surface. You could even just garage tiles to cover the area holding equipment if you wanted.

asphalt comes out easy enough. Cut out a 4' x 4' square and pour a 4" thick concrete slab

Not knowing your location and how hot/cold it gets it is hard to come up with ideas. But I would enclose, insulate, build an insulated wooden floor that has vinyl or tile on it... Run plumbing, electrical/gas as needed.

Budget?
Location?
Needs?
Outdoor temps to deal with? (where I am in MN -31 to 114 are possible so I built my garage to deal with that!)

Back