Hairs of the Dogs brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy day, but a major issue…

On the plus side, brew utility cabinet is set up and subwoofer is placed. Installed cabinet pulls (less 3 that are on order) and ensured ready for the plumber tomorrow.

Currently resetting the lounge cabinets and test running the dishwasher to confirm no leaks - it’ll be a real challenge to manage any leak once the countertops are in on Monday. Plan to run CO2 and glycol tubes (for kegerator tower since I have everything right there to do so) from the utility cabinet to the kegerator. Then set up the beverage refrigerator.

On the sad side…. The paver guys hit the gas line into the brewery last night. There’s lots of debating going on but looking at how they hit the line (top 1/8 of the diameter) and that they were only down 6” I suspect the issue was that when the ditch was backfilled they didn’t notice the gas line floated up. Further down the line it’s no more than 4” deep and there is no indication that the line was pulled free by the paver guys. Frustrating, but not real that big a deal to splice and ensure the line is correctly buried. More worried bout any delays in getting this fixed
As the pavers run over the line.

Looking forward to a gaggle of contractors tomorrow: plumber, tilers, pavers, fence guy (install posted where pavers will be), and maybe even someone to fix the gas line.

Attachments

• IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4476.jpeg
    IMG_4476.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
It’s been a busy week, gas lines repaired, pavers nearly complete, hot tub pad poured yesterday, fence posts (those in the paver path) in and…. The GC is done in the main house and gone. 1 week shy of a full year, 3 months over schedule and more than double their estimate. Going forward we’ll likely act as our own GC and just move a lot slower.

Waiting on shipments (valves, clamps, sink strainer, etc.) to finish - well, then the limited furniture that still needs to be selected. Unclear when I will get the brick up on the wall, waiting to get the final bills first.

I will have to prioritize completing and cleaning the bedroom for the next week.

I’ll add pictures of the patio once the fire pit is placed.

Lots of priority juggling going on…. We’re back into our bedroom - at least partially - smart switches to install (only way for me to turn off the lights after my wonderful spouse 🤪), some grout to scrub off the floors, EVERYTHING to pull out of storage, etc…. Weather just changed, so I have to stop and get grass seed onto the Area we tore up or filled in - it’s going to be a muddy dog year no matter what I do.

Got the recent Spike order installed, only a few more things to order. Need to build the controller wiring next, the deal with the glycol and CO2 systems. Over the winter I’ll build a table for the grain mill (still can’t navigate my shop to get to my tools - not looking forward to cleaning that up).

It’s all turning out well, hope to shop for some chairs and bar stools this weekend. I can report that the outdoor music system exceeds expectations - LOTS of bass, really clear, and I can’t hear the neighbor yelling at me over the fence - BEHIND the brew hall…. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4513.jpeg
    IMG_4513.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4514.jpeg
    IMG_4514.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4515.jpeg
    IMG_4515.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4516.jpeg
    IMG_4516.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4517.jpeg
    IMG_4517.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4518.jpeg
    IMG_4518.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4519.jpeg
    IMG_4519.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4522.jpeg
    IMG_4522.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hard to believe it took from August till this last weekend to get a batch going 🤬….

But lots to do to finish the house remodel, drywall the woodshop - then paint and set it up again. Add to that that the insulation contractor came back with a great price so we are able to insulate the attics for the house and the woodshop/brewery. Happy days, but that also meant pulling 4+ years of storage out of the shop attic and then selling or disposing of it.

Found a tiler who will be in next month to install the brick on the lounge wall - that will complete the original plan (less a roof over the patio which is on hold for a while due to other priorities).

But - let’s mention brewery lessons learned…

- annoying - the contractor didn’t pay enough attention to the floor slope to the drain. Not terrible, but I need a squeegee to move standing water along the wall to the drain.
- anticipated, but kept my eyes closed - LOTS of humidity when brewing. Even with the vent hood on high the roll up window in the lounge accumulates puddles. It’s dry and cold up here now, so will crack the window next batch and see how that goes (currently no fresh air vent into the brew room). I can close the door between the brew room and lounge as well, but not yet.
- darn it - the stereo isn’t loud enough in the brew room. 😭. At least Sonos stays in sync, so all good with the Move now finding a permanent home in the brew room.
- missed and should have known better - I needed to run water (for both filling and cleaning) all the way to the brew kettle. Fortunately, we stubbed out the hot water line under the sink so just need to run it to a valve then a diverter to feed a spay nozzle and fill hose.
- modifications I want to make to make life simpler - lower the brew table 6” and run a drain hose from the floor sink to a quick disconnect in the center of the table to use for kettle draining.

In all, thrilled with the first brew (this was my first all gain attempt). Hit my O.G. on an Amber Ale and it was fermenting well the next morning. Looking forward to getting it out of the fermentor and into both the house and lounge kegerators in a few weeks.

Unfortunately, it’ll be a while before I can brew again as I’ll be having spine surgery in a few weeks. So 3 to 6 months before I get another shot. Guess I don’t share my one batch with visitors! 😜

Attachments

• IMG_4646.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Just wanted to chime in and say as a newer member first discovering this thread, you have made such great progress! My “brewery” is my driveway and some of the garage but I am proud of it still. I bet you’re going to be beaming with pride every time you serve some delicious brews up to your friends and family remembering all the hard work making an incredible spot to brew and enjoy!

Pretty close to calling it done. 🤑

A few things on tap to finish:
- rugs for the lounge and mats for muddy paws
- I decided to add a toaster oven that will go on the wall in the grain mill closet. As the space on that wall will be tight, instead of a cabinet for the mill I’m just going to build 2 shelves (mill and bucket).
- insulate the attic - they were here yesterday, but without enough hose to reach. 😭

I was going to hold off until next year, but my wife insisted on finishing the brick work (wall over the kegerator, fireplace, and since we had leftover brick, the wall under the roll up window to eliminate shoe marks). Boy was she right, heck of a difference! (That comment should earn me enough brownie points to ensure she brings my beer while I’m immobile after the surgery 😜).

Added the water fill and rinse down supply lines. While I was there I stuck a quick disconnect on the brew table (now 5” lower) with a line directly into the floor sink, so simpler/cleaner now to drain the kettles. Also mounted a CO2 tank for transfers from the fermentors to kegs.

Thanks for all the positive comments, have a great winter!

IMG_4663.jpeg
IMG_4664.jpeg
IMG_4674.jpeg
IMG_4669.jpeg
IMG_4672.jpeg
IMG_4670.jpeg

Back