Converted SS Supply - Metal Shards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldzinator

Reaction score
So, I am finally scaling up to All Grain! Woohoo. I've been brewing for about 2 years now. I followed the wiki for converting a bev cooler to a mash tun using a 10 gallon cooler from Lowes. I went with the SS Toilet Supply approach for the screen. I got the center out with no problem. However, I noticed that there is some significant sharding (if that's a word) where I cut the two fittings off. I placed the 1/4" SS clamps on either side, but despite my trimming with tin snips and other tools, there are still a few jagged pieces.

My concern is the possibility of them working loose into the mash, especially if agitated with a mash spoon. Am I being ridiculous? I guess I could double clamp (one slightly closer to the end than the other --- side by side). Or, I guess I could buy a bazooka. I eventually plan on doing the false bottom route. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Easier yet...remove the braid and trim the wiskers with a pair of scissors and reinstall...the wires are so fine that a decent pair of scissors will trim em up nicely. Just cut a few at a time, don't try wacking the hole thing in one bite.

Back