Convert my Corny Keg or My kegerator fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiend

Reaction score
I cannot tell which one to do. I have heard of people changing the fittings from their kegerator tower to fit corny kegs and others say they have adapted their corny kegs to have a coupler fit on it.

Which one would be simpler? I don't plan on buy anymore kegs (Then again, You can never really plan on not buying anything more when you have brewing as a hobby)

I would consult a local brew shop about it, but there is none within 100 miles of where I live.

Converting a Kegerator to fit both would be ideal, but I cannot find a good example or kit anywhere. My search engines get all muttled up trying to understand what it is I am looking for.

The easiest method for switching between corny and sankey is using MFL fittings for all of your lines, which a lot of us already do. The barb fittings that you'll put on all of your lines look like this-
Swivel%20Nut%20Set%201-4in%20MFL%20x%205-16in%20Barb.JPG

You'll want to use this type of corny QD-
disconnect_mfl.jpg

Instead of this type-
disconnect-ball-beer-barb.jpg

And then buy a set of these tailpieces for your sankey coupler (assuming that's what the kegerator has now)-
tailpiece__15224_zoom.jpg

All you need to do to switch between keg types is unscrew the lines from the coupler/s they're on, and then screw them onto the new coupler/s. This will allow you to use either type of keg quickly and easily.

Excellent. Excellent. This is perfect. I deeply appreciate it.
So 2 barb fittings
the Corny Fittings
and 2 Coupler fittings.

You don't happen to know if there are kits of this sold, or would one have to buy everything individually? I am not entirely sure on all the sizes. I don't know what the size of the tower line is (I am very new to kegging in all aspects.)

Disregard that last one. I believe I have found one with exactly what is in the pictures above.
Once again, I appreciate the help.
-Cheers.

Found one-

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/draft-systems/commercial-kegerator-to-homebrew-conversion-kit.html

The beer line is hopefully 3/16" ID, and if not you'll probably want to replace it with 3/16" ID. The kit has 1/4" barbs, which is actually good for the beer line. Heat the line in a little boiling water and stretch it onto the larger barb, and it will seal better than using the correct size barb. The gas line is likely either 1/4" ID or 5/16" ID, but it's hard to say for sure. Depending on what size it is and how it fits on the included barb, you might need to buy a different barbed swivel nut.

Found one-

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/draft-systems/commercial-kegerator-to-homebrew-conversion-kit.html

The beer line is hopefully 3/16" ID, and if not you'll probably want to replace it with 3/16" ID. The kit has 1/4" barbs, which is actually good for the beer line. Heat the line in a little boiling water and stretch it onto the larger barb, and it will seal better than using the correct size barb. The gas line is likely either 1/4" ID or 5/16" ID, but it's hard to say for sure. Depending on what size it is and how it fits on the included barb, you might need to buy a different barbed swivel nut.

Excellent. Thank you very much for the help.

Back