Continually Hopping a

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La7crosse11

Reaction score
I'm continually hopping a beer (dogfish head 60 minute IPA clone). When I'm adding the next type of hops in, do I remove the previous set of hops? The recipe says to "refill the hopper with..." That makes it sound like you should remove the last type of hops, but I don't want to underhop!

I'm in the middle of steeping the all-grain malts, so a quick response would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the abridged version of the recipe:

http://www.brewingkb.com/recipes/Ho...A-Recipe-the-real-thing-not-a-clone-1727.html

EDIT:
Hit Enter instead of Delete while retyping the title...oops! Supposed to say "Continually Hopping a Beer"

Just keep adding, is what I would do. Assuming that the hopper referred to is just a device to continuously add, so basically add more when it's empty.

Alright, sounds like a plan to me. I'm just using muslin bags and adding to it as I go. Hopefully that works out.

Thanks for the quick reply!

No problem- was on my phone so didn't have a chance to ask if you're deploying any gadgetry to continuously hop?

I was wondering if it would be easier to rig something to dispense ground up pellets, versus whole pellets, but something tells me that someone would have done it (and posted it here on HBT) if that was the case. :mug:

Yeah, I'm just throwing in a few pellets at a time over the time called out in the recipe. I've been sort of lazy and gone in pretty big increments, but I don't think it will be too big of a deal.

This is only my second time brewing, so I'll have to get into the gadgetry later on after I make a couple mistakes...

Ahhh the continually hopped beer... its definitely a right of passage of sorts for brewers. I agree to just add into the boil. If your thinking muslin bag, you might want to search for "hop spider".

That definitely looks easy enough to make, and worthwhile. I think Lowe's is gonna get a chunk of change from me pretty soon. I have to make this and an immersion wort chiller (ran out of ice last night and had to let the wort sit for an hour in ice...so I'm gonna fix that in the future!)

Also, I didn't have a strainer readily available last night, so I had to go with the hop bags. I should work on preparing better from now on...

Back