Constructing recipe: Caramel Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabanknight

Reaction score
Good evening!
Long time brewer here, first time working on a cider. A few friends wanted to be patrons and commission a cider. After some deliberation everyone thought it would be a cool idea to do a Caramel Apple Cider using some toffee flavored and sweeter malts to achieve some of the flavoring. Recipe still in flux, please share info or any tips for our first time cider.

Recipe:
1/2 bushel Grannie smith apples
3lb crystal malt
1lb honey
3lb English crystal/Scottish crystal/caramel malt
.25lb barley or deep chocolate flavored malt
still researching which to use​
1lb dextrose
3gal organic apple juice -to top off the batch-
WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine Yeast

Thoughts?

I make a 40+ gallons of cider a year but until recently, didn't consider using malt as an ingredient. I'd do some 1 gallon test batches with the different malts you listed and see what flavors they bring in. Then try blending them to see what combinations you like. I've tried the WL sweet mead yeast and didn't like it much. I like WL 002, Brewer's best cider house select (dry yeast) and French Saison yeast,

I make a 40+ gallons of cider a year but until recently, didn't consider using malt as an ingredient. I'd do some 1 gallon test batches with the different malts you listed and see what flavors they bring in. Then try blending them to see what combinations you like. I've tried the WL sweet mead yeast and didn't like it much. I like WL 002, Brewer's best cider house select (dry yeast) and French Saison yeast,

how long do you usually ferment/leave in bottles. Someone said almost a year... seems a little long for cider.

how long do you usually ferment/leave in bottles. Someone said almost a year... seems a little long for cider.

I try to run the fermentation in the the 60's so sometimes it can take 1-2 months to finish. I then rack it off to another carboy and let it sit a few months and it will get clear. When you drink it is a matter of taste and how you make it. I drank some of the 2015 fall cider that was 6-8 weeks old, but most of it will be allowed to age.
If you add a lot of sugar, ferment at a higher temperature real fast, you can get a "hot" alcohol taste that need some time to mellow.

Back