Connecting corny keg to jockey box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csprague

Reaction score
I've searched the threads endlessly, and those of other forums, and have come up with no answers here. As far as I can tell, I'm only the second person in the history of the world whose tried to use a corny keg with a pre-fab jockey box :)

The problem: The back of the jockey box has the standard 7/8-14 shanks that connect to 50-feet of 5/16 OD SS tubing.

Like all pre-fab jockey boxes, the fittings assume you'll be connecting to a sanke keg, and that would indeed be a simple matter of getting some 3/8 ID tubing, some 3/8 tailpieces and 7/8-14 nuts and washers.

Problem is, how do you connect this to a corny keg? Most of what I've read strongly recommends 3/8 for resistance/foam control, but obviously, you can't fit a 3/8 ID tube onto a 1/4" ball lock barb.

How do people do this? Simple double-barb adapter and a very short length of 3/16 hose on the keg side? Or can you just run 3/16 tubing all the way to the jockey box and use a 1/4" tailpiece? What effect would that have?

Help!

(thanks)
Chris

You are over thinking it. Just use the standard ball lock connector with 5 feet of 3/16 or 1/4" line to a 1/4" Barb tailpeice.

I had considered that, but how many PSI would I need to push that with? 3/16 ID vinyl tubing has a resistance of 3psi/ft. 50-feet of 5/16 OD tubing has about .5psi/ft, for 25psi. The faucet and shank add about 3psi more.

So using 5' of 3/16 ID vinyl beer tubing, I'm looking at a staggering 43 PSI!

By using 3/8" tubing, at a mere .2psi/ft, the beer line only adds 1psi, not 15. Seems like enough of a difference to make it worthwhile to look for a solution that allows 3/8 tubing.

Chris

Use 1/4" like I said and it will be fine, I have a jockey box with 50 feet of 1/4" stainless and 6 feet of 1/4" vinyl line to the keg. I don't think that chart is right or I would need over 100 psi. It pours great at about 40 psi. Your tubing has much less restriction, even with 5 feet of 1/4" line I bet you will only need 20-25 psi

Back