Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will probably get a better deal buying from him direct.
http://conical-fermenter.com/

There are several threads on here about them. The overall consensus seems they are great value and well made. I don't recall seeing anything negative, other than they are made in China and not the USA.

I would love Blichmann but the price is a bit off putting considering the 14 gallon isnt much more than the 7.5.

I have the 14G Conical from Stout Tanks...It was a great investment and Im loving the quality for the money...2 drawbacks would be the inability to pressurize and the non adjustable racking arm but for the price its well worth it...They were a joy to do business with and Im suspecting ill be looking into the 3bbl system they are proposing in the future...Good luck

pressurization isnt a big deal for me as long as the lid stays on so my non sour beers stay that way in the basement.

I emailed Stout Tanks and they said their conicals could be pressurized with a few psi to transfer beer. They will even put a fitting on for a fee.

I emailed Stout Tanks and they said their conicals could be pressurized with a few psi to transfer beer. They will even put a fitting on for a fee.

That's good news.

Given that I can fill kegs counterpressure from a better bottle (or carboy), I would never consider losing that functionality to be an upgrade.

looks like ill be going with a stout conical for my lager fridge this year.
Pickles thanks for the info.

I have the 14 gallon version and while it is nice, I have a couple complaints/concernes...

- You have to be very careful with the lid and the tank not to dent the rim around the outside of each. ON the tank specifically, the thickness of the conical is not such that gives you confidence to withstand much trauma.

- The Racking port seems fragile. Small diameter connection from tank to triclover seems flimsy.

- 2-port ball valves vs 3-port fully disassembling valves

- The way the tank sits in the stand can be funky. Not supported the full diameter of the tank, and if on not pretty level ground, can cause it to sit "off kilter" that makes attaching the arm across the top of the stand a bit "sticky"

That said, I like mine and I find it easy to clean and a joy to use, and I find I can get a slight pressurization (wish I had a CO2 port on mine) for racking. Just be aware of pluses and minuses.

Personally, I am moving to sanke fermenters for cost reasons, but I do like the one I have.

Back