Conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drifter001

Reaction score
Hello all

So I've recently got the urge to buy a conical fermentor and wanted your guys' input. I was looking at the ss brewmaster edition (either in 7 or 14, haven't decided yet) but came across the spike brewing that should be releasing soon. I wanted to start a batch soon and use the fermentor but not sure if the spike would be worth the wait or not. Any help and input would be great!

Not rushing the purchase of something that large based on eagerness for the next batch, is my best advice. When I bought 1/2 barrel conical I looked at all the ones on the market at the time and put their features down on a spreadsheet to compare them side by side. If cost were not a consideration I probably would have gone with the Brewers Hardware. However, ended up with the SS Brewtech. My biggest issue with it though is that it uses a weldless fitting for the thermowell. I'd much prefer the sanitary option. Granted I have never had an infection; but, its still a lot more work to tear down and clean every batch than a TC would be. So, to that end, I would be very interested in the Spike version. In the meantime, it doesn't take a conical to make great beer, so take your time deciding....I'm sure you have plenty of carboys to keep the pipeline happy.

I have a blichmann 14 and a brewershardware 20. Both have worked good for me for several years.

Not rushing the purchase of something that large based on eagerness for the next batch, is my best advice. When I bought 1/2 barrel conical I looked at all the ones on the market at the time and put their features down on a spreadsheet to compare them side by side. If cost were not a consideration I probably would have gone with the Brewers Hardware. However, ended up with the SS Brewtech. My biggest issue with it though is that it uses a weldless fitting for the thermowell. I'd much prefer the sanitary option. Granted I have never had an infection; but, its still a lot more work to tear down and clean every batch than a TC would be. So, to that end, I would be very interested in the Spike version. In the meantime, it doesn't take a conical to make great beer, so take your time deciding....I'm sure you have plenty of carboys to keep the pipeline happy.

Definitely what i realized today. Even with the conical, Im still gonna be using my buckets and carboys, all its gonna do is increase my current fermenting capacity. In the long run, I think the spike will be more bang for the buck.

I've been holding off the purchase of my second conical until the Spike release. I have a 14 gallon SSBrewtech BME that has about 20 batches on it. I love it but like Bensiff, I too would prefer welded connections. The BME has 4 o-ringed connections, two for the coils and one each for the thermwell and sampling valve. I know I should, but I don't always tear the first three connection points down between batches. I always tear down the TC fittings and valves

I gained some confidence in this approach based on a post by mfabe who went at least 10 batches without teardown on his SSBT Chronical using a CIP. I don't CIP for clean and sanitize, it's manual but it's probably as good or better job then a CIP. I haven't had an infection and I repitched my yeast up to 4 times. That said, I don't know if I've been lucky and so, to tear down or not, is always on my mind. I'd rather just have welded fittings that Spike offers..... and so I wait

Back