Conical fermentation vent /blowoff during initial fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burndog

Reaction score
First time using my Spike 10 conical and not sure if the pressure relief system should be used initially or only after much of the fermentation is complete?

Is the yeast just as happy building pressure or is the a hinderance in the initials fermentation -phase.

I’d be cautious with a pressure relief during primary. I always have krausen on the lid and often have blow off out of the blow off tube. I doubt you’ll have a situation where pressure builds up and your at risk of pressure related problems but if your relying on a pressure relief valve it may get clogged up and stuck from a large blow off.

so IF there is low headspace it's better to do a partial fermentation before switching to the Relief Value...

This first batch is 6 gal in a 10 gal Conical. I'll keep a close eye on the relief valve and if there is any krausen coming out, purge and move to a blow off tube.

Yeast doesn't care about the added pressure?

Read more, changed methods to use the blow off tube until fermentation slows...

Attachments

• fermentation.jpg
    fermentation.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 91
Not that far along to be thinking cip....testing temp control. Ordered a new submersible pump and will modify a cooler to hold the chill down liquid.

so IF there is low headspace it's better to do a partial fermentation before switching to the Relief Value...

This first batch is 6 gal in a 10 gal Conical. I'll keep a close eye on the relief valve and if there is any krausen coming out, purge and move to a blow off tube.

Yeast doesn't care about the added pressure?
I believe the new spike conical is about the same dimensions as the their older ones (15.5 inches wide) if so I often get blowoff and even had the clasp ring seal blow out under pressure once when my blow off hose plugged when brewing 10.5 gallons in the 12.5 gallon conical.. this is due to the low amount of headspace in the wider conical. I also have a 12" wide stout 12.5 gallon conical and dont reacall ever getting blowoff that reached the hose with the same amount of beer in the same 12.5 gallon sized conical because the headspace is a lot taller. (one advantage to a narrow fermenter)

so yes if you conical is a wider one you do not want to use the pressure relief system during primary phase... I thought the pressure can inhibit or at least effect yeast performance at that stage as well although I might be wrong on that point. I do know breweries use blow off tubes even with unitanks...

Latest posts

Back