Confusing infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewf1985

Reaction score
Evening guys. Bit confused about this but maybe one of you will be able to shed some light.

Ive just had to dump a batch of porters to infection. Proper gutted. It was a brown porter recipe with the addition of oak chips and cacao nibs added during secondary. Both soaked in Jim Beam bourbon for over 24 hours. Added one at a time so i could learn the flavour addition from each ingredient. Didnt pop the lid daily to taste. Gave the nibs 2 weeks before tasting and the oak 4 days. Started to notice a bit of bubbling on the surface at the point of kegging. Sample tasted fine so didnt think nothing of it. Tasted a swift half a week later and tasted great. However got to it wednesday and noticed a couple of the bottles had a few floaties in so checked the rest, one was bubbling and another had a lump floating in the top. Opened them both up and gushers. Tried some of the barrel and had stomach ache 10 minutes after. Opened the rest of my bottles and all gushers. Dumped the lot. Couldnt serve that.

However, brewed up the recipe again, its a christmas beer so definitely want it on tap. Decided today to roast the chips and nibs at about 190degC. Went until i could smell the nibs. About 10 minutes. Removed and poured the bourbon over, cover tightly and left. 2 hours later, theres bubbles in the bowl and has been increasing as time goes on. For obvious reasons im not throwing this in the beer this time.

I dont understand what is going on in there and how something can survive those conditions.

Ive attached a picture of what im seeing and i'll post again what changes there are. This is my first infected beer and from what im seeing today this is the cause of it. Ive got a trial to see whether its the oak or nibs thats causing it but theres been no change in them within the hour. Still early yet i feel. I am considering boiling the mixture, im not fussed about loosing the alcohol in the bourbon. From what ive read, its meant to sanitize the nibs.

Confused. Com for sure

Any ideas??

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back