Confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
I've bought Mr. Malty app and still having trouble figuring out what I need. With growth factor? How much DME... App seems like a rip off. Anyways we're making a 1.094 OG beer tomorrow (24 hours out - read this was optimal time on malty) using wyeast 1056 for our imperial stout. I have a 2000 ml flask with a stirplate. Could also use a growler if needed. Someone just tell me what I need for dme and water? I only have one pack of 1056, but I could also use 1 or 2 dry US-05, but is mixing dry and wet bad?

I've bought Mr. Malty app and still having trouble figuring out what I need. With growth factor? How much DME... App seems like a rip off. Anyways we're making a 1.094 OG beer tomorrow (24 hours out - read this was optimal time on malty) using wyeast 1056 for our imperial stout. I have a 2000 ml flask with a stirplate. Could also use a growler if needed. Someone just tell me what I need for dme and water? I only have one pack of 1056, but I could also use 1 or 2 dry US-05, but is mixing dry and wet bad?

Use this:

http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

I love this calculator and have had no issues with it!

I personally would not mix different yeast types for a particular style.
It might be something you can do on a one gallon experiment but be prepared to have something totally unexpected.

Check this link.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1235/MAzym07_YeastStarter.pdf

You want a starter to be 1.035-1.040, generally 1 gram of DME per 10 mls of water. For a 2000 ml starter, you'd use 200 grams of DME. It's always a 10-1 ratio.

I don't have the app, but I thought mrmalty told you the size of the starter you need for xxxx OG and batch size.

It's telling me to use a 5.3 liter starter since I only have 1 smack pack. My flask is only 2000, so maybe a growler could hold more(I'll check). Not good with metric. 5.3 starter would be 18.7 ounces of dme!!!???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wy1056 and rehydrated US-05 are the same yeasts. Is ths a 5 gallon brew?
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

You have something entered wrong unless you are doing a 20gallon batch... Im using Mr. Malty right now and for a 5.25g batch I get a 1.8L starter. Beersmith says the same assuming your yeast was packaged in the last two months (75%) viable.

So do 2000ml water to 200g of DME after a 10 minute boil you should be close to 1800ml I would not do this boil in a 2000ml flask or you will likely melt your face off...

Whats the date on the Wyeast? I did a RIS not that long ago, but I could plug something into beer smith for you if you like. I personally only use Beersmith since everything is integrated in one place.

7 gallon batch

It's really hard to make a 7 gallon batch of 1.094 with only one package of yeast and 24 hours. Generally, you'd make a smaller starter and step it up when it's fermented out, for a beer that big and with that quantity. Normally, a one step starter is great for a 5 gallon batch and an OG of under about 1.075 or so. It's asking a lot from one package of yeast to give you enough yeast for 7 gallons of 1.094 beer in one step, and in one day.

Many times, making a huge starter means letting it ferment out, chilling it and decanting the spent wort. You really don't want to add 1.25 gallons of spent wort to your beer, I'd guess.

I'd make the starter 5-7 days in advance, chill it to decant the spent wort, and then use it. If you're brewing tomorrow, you'd be better off to skip the starter as there is no way the yeast would be done and flocculated out, so that you could not use the whole batch of wort. And instead, use three packages of dry S05 yeast.

Why not brew a batch of beer then repitch the slurry into the new batch. You have plenty of yeast afterward. Mr malty has a tab that helps with this.

Yeast date is July 15, I'll take any help you can give. Currently I'm thinking of making 2000ml stater with 7oz dme and using a dry packet tomorrow. Since us-05 is same as 1056. Thoughts?

Why not brew a batch of beer then repitch the slurry into the new batch. You have plenty of yeast afterward. Mr malty has a tab that helps with this.

The only yeast slurry I have is a 7 gallon batch of London ESB, that I could move over to keg or secondary and drop the wort onto the yeast cake, but ESB wouldn't be great for Imperial Stout.... Has a ton of hop residue as well.

I bought the app expecting a replica of Mr malty. I was terribly disappointed and refunded immediately. Total crap.

Latest posts

Back