Confused with when to Airlock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffocatefaster

Reaction score
So after boiling and mixing, pitching the yeast. Do I put the final product of the mix into the carboy and airlock it or leave it in the bucket and airlock it?

Then when secondary comes, do I put the Primary result into ANOTHER airlocked container for two weeks?

Yeah, your question doesn't make much sense. You should always have an airlock on it, regardless of whether you're using a bucket or carboy. If you expect a particularly vigorous fermentation, you might use a blowoff tube, but it serves the same purpose as an airlock.

I suggest you head over to howtobrew.com and do some reading on general brewing practices.

Nope. Its just a pail I own and a garbage bag for the top, I bought the carboy.
Please lay off, I started brewing 2 days ago.

I would suggest that for your first brew, you skip the garbage bag and old pail. Just use the carboy, a drilled stopper, and an airlock. You don't have to rack to secondary; simply keep your beer in the carboy until it's done and bottle directly from the carboy. Later on, when you have more suitable equipment, you can refine the process.

In the meantime, do some reading! Several folks have suggested www.howtobrew.com - it's really worth your time. Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" is also an excellent read. Please also read all of the "stickies" in the forums that interest you here.

Is it a glass carboy or just an empty 5 gallon water bottle? Better yet, why dont you come back when you are 21.

In some countries, legal age is less than 21. We go by the legal age of the country the person is in. So, Canadians and Australians (and many others, I'm sure!) can legally brew at a younger age than Americans.

Not to be a jerk at all but Americans seem to just assume EVERYONE is from there.

Im born and raised in Winnipeg, MB Canada where our legal age is 18. Drinking beer isnt that much of a deal to people, Cops barely bust underage drinking at all.

And better yet the only people on this forum assuming im from the states are from philly ha, ANYWAY thanks for the site. I will make sure to read more before I continue to question everyone about what I dont yet understand.

cheers

Sorry if you feel like you are not getting the help you need, but most of us have never started brewing by using a trashbag in a bucket as a primary fermenter and don't really have the answers you are looking for.

I'm not knocking your enthusiasm for brewing or your technique, it sounds like you were eager to start brewing and wanted to get started no matter what. I would seriously recommend investing in a basic starter kit as soon as you have the opportunity, it will definately help you out and you will be able to relate the terms and techniques you read about to what you are doing.

Good Luck and I hope all works out for you.

olllllo said:
Perhaps the request wasn't strictly to satisfy a legal requirement. ;)

"All young Canadians paint with a wide brush."

Nice to see you judge me based on what area of town im from.
Im new, so it will take me a while to get this all right.

AND, as I have stated numerous times I have a starter kit. I have just done somthing wrong thats all.
Havnt read up enough I guess.

suffocatefaster said:
Nice to see you judge me based on what area of town im from.
Im new, so it will take me a while to get this all right.

AND, as I have stated numerous times I have a starter kit. I have just done somthing wrong thats all.
Havnt read up enough I guess.

No. It was strictly based on your proclivity towards posting before reading. You have a post in another thread where you ask how to change your profile and you figured it out in a matter of 5 minutes.

My all young Canadians post was a satirical commentary on your all Americans statement.

It was strictly the visual I got when I joined this forum.
But no offence taken, I guess I should be doing more reading. I shall come back after I take a read at the sites offered to me in this thread.

You could theoretically just apply a sanitized piece of aluminum foil to the opening of the carboy. That's what we do with yeast starters, isn't it?

I was told to put a garbage bag over by my local brew-kit dealer.

Im new, how would I know.

(Keeping in mind I was told to do this for Primary, And I was told to airlock it on secondary)

PseudoChef said:
You could theoretically just apply a sanitized piece of aluminum foil to the opening of the carboy. That's what we do with yeast starters, isn't it?

People do this. Chris White (White Labs) says this is a great thing to do.

Ok, I just went down to my pantry and cut a hole in the bag, And taped the airlock inbetween the hole. Now it is airtight and has the airlock to breath.

Problem fixed.

I best go down and buy a lid somtime soon.

Nice job, Suff. Seems like you've solved your problem well. For the record, I don't see what's wrong with using a garbage bag as an airlock in primary. As long as it's sanitary. It wouldn't be my first (or even last) choice, but there's no reason it wouldn't work.

Yea, It serverd its purpose for about 2 days. But oh well... I just noticed my temp is at 18C, Im guessing this is no good either lol. It should be at 20 right now.

18c sounds great. As long as it's warm enough that it's bubbling away.

I think the reason we came off a little harsh is because people saw 19, thought underage and then the methods that aren't normal, but will probably work. Also what ma have made it confusing to us is we see airlock as a noun, an airlock - the three piece thing that sits on top of the carboy. Not a verb. Now that I think of it I can't think of a word that describes putting the airlock in the stopper.

I think you can get a drilled lid for $3 (heck in CND that's like only $2.50 now!). It's a worthwhile investment for extra protection against nasties.... and kinda standard on any kit.

I've heard people from Canada stating that they don't use lids on primaries before and sometimes just loosely cover.

My advice: Don't listen to advice from the guy at the store.

z987k said:
18c sounds great. As long as it's warm enough that it's bubbling away.

I think the reason we came off a little harsh is because people saw 19, thought underage and then the methods that aren't normal, but will probably work. Also what ma have made it confusing to us is we see airlock as a noun, an airlock - the three piece thing that sits on top of the carboy. Not a verb. Now that I think of it I can't think of a word that describes putting the airlock in the stopper.

I think you can get a drilled lid for $3 (heck in CND that's like only $2.50 now!). It's a worthwhile investment for extra protection against nasties.... and kinda standard on any kit.

I plan on taking all the advice i get and putting alot of money into this, I enjoy the art already and i havnt even done anything right yet.

I don't see why the trash bag over the primary wouldn't work. Just make sure everything is well sanitized and you should be fine. Skip the elastic, though. Your fermenting wort is going to put off a lot of CO2 and it needs to be vented.

Alright, you've mentioned vehemently that you DO have a starter kit. We'd like to help you learn how to use it more effectively. What's included in it?

damn yuri, made me go use a dictionary. I could figure it by the context but still. lol. 15th century english! Oh well learn something every day.

Back