Confused about pressures for Counter-Pressure bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Hi,

I am confused as to what the standing keg pressure should be set to for beer intended for counter-pressure bottle filled.

My standard - non Counter Pressure Bottle Filling (CPBF) - process is to force carb for three days @ 30 PSI then drop to my serving pressure... but this doesn't necessarily equate to the pressure in the beer...

When I use BeerSmith, it usually indicates I need to apply about 21 PSI at 60 degrees... but bottles can only handle about 3 PSI... so I am confused.

Um, when I bottle from the keg.

My beer is already carbed.

I set the regulator at about 2-3 PSI (this will vary with line length, diamter, etc.

Bleed the pressure off the keg.

I fill the bottle

Foam the beer to remove O2

Cap

I wouldnt use more

+1 Your beer needs to be carbed to CPBF, I set my regulator to around 3psi to bottle.

I have found that I get a lot of foaming at 3 PSI and next to none at 8...

So far I have found counter-pressure bottling to be cumbersome but certainly worthwhile if you wanted to enter your beers for competition or take a mixed six-pack or whatever out to a friends place.

I just use the ghetto racking cane jammed in a cobra tap and a rubber stopper for a seal. No foaming at any PSI as long as the seal is maintained and there is + pressure in the bottle.

3psi seems the most manageable though.

And always make sure beer is properly carbed before bottling....and this can't be done in 3 days IMO. I'm barely happy until 2 weeks.

In my experience so far, you don't want to drop the keg pressure too much. If your carbonation is at say 12 psi, try about 3-5psi less than that. If you create a huge pressure drop in the keg, the beer will start off gassing at the bottom right were you're pulling the beer from. Of course, this assumes your supply tubing to the filler is nice and long and cold. The counterpressure part is what keeps it from foaming too much.

Latest posts

Back