Confused about kit and abv. Love2brewcrew please chime in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonx06

Reaction score
I bought this kit and the website said this American ipa was about 6%abv and 46 ibus.

Kit Profile:
Original Gravity: 1.066

Malts & Specialty Grains
- 9 lbs. Light DME
- 1lb. Caramel 60L (Steeping Grains)

Hops
- 3 oz. Centennial (Bittering/Flavor/Aroma)
- 1 oz. Cascade (Dry Hop)

Yeast
- Choice of Safale-05 / Danstar Premium Ale Yeast / White Labs California Ale Yeast

Now the site changed the name to imperial ipa with the same recipe. It says the og is.1.082 and around 70ibus. Should be around 8.5% abv. I'm confused. My first Hydrometer reading said 1.082 and i thought i screwed it up. It fermented to 1.020. The projected alcohol reading said 5%. I did the abv equation and that said 7.9%. What the hell is going on here.

hmmm... 9lb of LME will put your OG around 1.063-1.064, so your original instruction seem accurate. maybe they changed the kit on the website, but didn't update the ingredient list?

edit: saw it's DME... yeah, 9lb of that will put you around 1.080...

Did you use top off water to get to your correct volume? If so, your beer probably was not fully mixed yet when you took the OG reading - you got more concentrated wort in your sample, thus a higer than expected OG.

Are you talking about the projected alcohol reading on the hydrometer? Ignore that. That scale is meant for wines and ciders that typically ferment all the way down to 1.00. That scale does not apply to beer.

Sounds like you got the Imperial IPA. Should still be a good beer, just keep following the instructions!

With that recipe, for a 5 gallon batch, you're looking at an expected OG around 1.084. With an FG of 1.020, you've got an 8.4% ABV

For IBUs, it depends on the AA% of the Centennial hops and how much you added when (I assume the 3 oz were spread out through the boil?)

Sounds like there was an error in the original description of the kit and the vendor fixed it.

I took the gravity after the top off water and got 1.082. I did the hop additions 60 30 15. Either way it is gonna be a good beer.. Ive been telling people it is an ipa and thats a big difference. If it wasn't my first batch i might have figured it out sooner. I definitely would have used more hops for dry hopping. So the verdict is imperial Ipa right. They have brewed this beer at there store. Not sure why there didn't realize earlier. But mistakes happen and I'm actually happier. I wanted more abv and Ibus anyway

[QUOTE="JLem"

For IBUs, it depends on the AA% of the Centennial hops and how much you added when (I assume the 3 oz were spread out through the boil?)[/QUOTE]
I believe they were like 12.4% but im not positive

I believe they were like 12.4% but im not positive

1 oz of 12.4% hops at 60, 30, and 15 gets you about 65 IBUs (though it depends on your boil size) Unless you were doing a full boil, your IBUs will be less.

I believe i did a 3 gallon boil extract addition. 5 gallon batch. I just talk to the lhbs where i got it. They changed it cause of the malt bill. It is definitely an imperial ipa. Thanks for your input. I love this site

Back