configuration dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuizArgh

Reaction score
So, i'm re-building/upgrading all my equipment and there is a pretty basic question I never actually got a decent answer.

What's the ups and downs of a mash/lauter tun+boil kettle system versus a mash/boil kettle +lauter tun?

This seem really silly, but let me develop it a bit.

In most breweries i've visited, the usual configuration is a mash+boil kettle and a lauter tun. In the words: the grains are mashed, pumped in the lauter tun, "lautered" while the mash/boil tun is being cleaned and, finally, the wort is pumped again for the boil. However, usually homebrewers - me included - use a mash+lauter tun and another kettle just for the boil. In other words, you mash already with the false bottom/bazooka/whatever, lauter in the same tun and THEN pump it to the boil kettle.

This second system obviously looks smarter (less work). If that's the only difference, than why the heck would breweries go with the more complicated one? Is there a efficiency/quality/whatever difference between both systems? Has someone ever done a one-to-one comparison between the two?

and while we're at it, i'm searching for books about technical/industrial aspects of brewing, like equipment specs, configurations and such - rather then actual brewing. any ideas?

Most homebrewers use 3 separate vessels becasue we are not limited by the exhorbitant costs of multi-barrel tins. And comining the mash lauter tun in one negates the need to pump/move the mash.

KISS.

Not in my experience. Most breweries I have visited here in the US have do the mash and lauter in one vessel and have a separate vessel for the boil. And almost always a third for hot water. With this set up the boil kettle can be used to heat the mash and sparge water. It's what is refered to as a standard 3 vessel system.

Back