Conditioning yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
I recently brewed a saison with Wyeast 3724 (Dupont strain) that has a reputation for stalling. I had no problem with stalling but once it was finished I cold crashed with anticipation of bottling in a few days. Well, life and a week long fishing trip got in the way and the beer has been cold crashed for two weeks. I am worried about the yeast providing enough muscle to carbonate the beer so I'm considering adding a conditioning yeast. Any input would be appreciated. If the LHBS has conditioning yeast I would use that but otherwise I thought about 11 gms of US-05 hydrated in sterilized water. Thanks

Personally, I think there's likely still enough yeast left in suspension to carbonate your bottles, but risk managemnt is your choice.

US-05 would work, as would any strain that has a tolerance for whatever ABV your beer is and lower attenuation than 3724, which would be most strains.

What's the batch size? 11 grams is a lot of yeast for bottle conditioning 5 or even 10 gallons. You're not fermenting a new batch of beer...just metabolizing a very small amount of simple sugar.

5 gallon batch
ABV 6%
I mentioned 11 gms only because that is how much is in the package of LaBrew CBC-1 bottle or cask conditioning yeast.

I agree with Vike, its likely fine. To add the yeast, you'll need to mix it thoroughly, which is a potential problem, also.

5 gallon batch
ABV 6%
I mentioned 11 gms only because that is how much is in the package of LaBrew CBC-1 bottle or cask conditioning yeast.

For bottle conditioning with CBC-1, Lallemand recommends 0.1 grams per liter, which for 5 gallons would be a little less than 2 grams. I'd say that's probably about right for other strains too.

Thanks for that info VikeMan

Is there a downside to adding conditioning yeast other than the mixing and basically fooling around with the beer which I hate to do in most circumstances?

Is there a downside to adding conditioning yeast other than the mixing and basically fooling around with the beer which I hate to do in most circumstances?

No, that's pretty much it IMO.

Cold crashed for two weeks at what temperature?
I've lagered beers at 35f for three months that carbed fine without adding yeast at bottling.

Cold crashed for two weeks at what temperature?
I've lagered beers at 35f for three months that carbed fine without adding yeast at bottling.

Yes, so have I but never with this yeast that has a reputation for stalling during primary fermentation. Granted, it did not stall for me and I'll probably skip the conditioning yeast and just get the temp back up for a while after it's in the bottle. I just don't want to have to deal with 50 bottles of flat saison.

Back