Conditioning Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagsminers

Reaction score
Bottled Blueberry lightning 3 wks. Ago, warm conditioned for 3 wks., put one in fridge for 4-6 hrs. Tasted pretty good, just a little dry and not much blueberry flavor. What should I do, more warm cond. or cold?

Well, further conditioning probably isn't going to make it less dry or add blueberry flavor, but it could definitely improve things. I'd give it a few more weeks warm conditioning, then cool 'em down for a few days (instead of a few hours) before trying again.

I suspect there is no best answer. The beer may get less dry with aging. On the other hand, I doubt you'll get any improvement in the blueberry flavor - unless is it being covered up by too much hops. So you choices may boil down to drink it now, a bit dry, with some blueberry flavor, or wait and the dryness might fade, but probably so too will the blueberry

Did you use real blueberries or a flavor extract? The blueberry flavor is likely to actually mellow over time, not increase. You probably didn't use enough to your tastes in the first place. Fruit flavoring amounts is VERY subjective to the drinker!

Are you an All-Grain or Extract brewer?

As far as the dryness, that also is not likely to change all that much. The perceived dryness might mellow a bit as the beer ages, but the dryness of the beer has much more to do with the temperature of the mash (if you are doing AG) and the chemical makeup of the fermentables you started with.

Did you happen to add sugar, honey, or some other type of simple sugar to the brew? Basically, the simpler the chemical composition of the sugars in the wort, the more easily the yeast can eat them, so they chow down until there are virtually no carbohydrates left in the brew, which leads to a dry brew. Some of the long-chain sugars/carbohydrates created in the mashing process at higher temps can not be broken down by yeast, so you end up with more body in the beer. Lower mash temps = shorter, less complex carbohydrate chains that yeast can process very easily = dryer beer.

Anyway, that's about what you are probably looking at. I'd expect this brew to pretty much be what it is, but figure out what you did to make it dry and low on your desired fruit flavor so you can control these factors better in the future.

I could be wrong but as someone who just bottled blueberry beer, mine tasted good but not that much blueberry taste; more of a general dry berry taste within a good round and sweet beer base. However, it did have a strong aroma of blueberries.
My conclusion was that I used too many berries because I wanted more of that full bodied, round beer taste. If your beer tastes at all like blueberries then you did something right. Cheers!

When the bottle is empty, blueberry scent is prevalent, full slight aroma with really no blueberry scent. After all, the beer still was good and gone...!

Back