Conditioning at Keezer Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gubernaculum

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone see a problem with the following method?

1. Primary for 1-2 weeks (or until reaches final gravity).
2. Rack to keg.
3. Store keg in keezer at 40 degrees C.
4. Set it and forget it method of carbonating. (This way, beer conditions and carbs at the same time.)

Would the cold temperatures of the keezer prevent conditioning? I know there's no point in hurrying, but I'd like to free up my primary and make my brew cycles as efficient as possible.

I do it all the time, depending on the style, or if I am carbing my kegs naturally. I tend to leave mine in primary for 3-4 weeks, but again that varies.

The cold temperatures of the keezer will make the conditioning happen significantly slower. IMO, better to have it ready for glass before it goes to keg. Then you can chill and carb (two week slow forced carbonation method) and be ready for glass without issue.

Different brews are ready for the glass sooner, or later, than others. A low OG pale ale will be ready far sooner than a wee heavy. Trying to use a standard method for all brews, IMO/IME, is a recipe for disaster.

Latest posts

Back