Conditioning a new barrel for beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I just received my 20 litre European Oak barrel. Once I get it conditioned/sanitised with water/boiling water, I was thinking of putting a couple of litres of 100 proof bourbon in the barrel for a month prior to filling with an Imperial Stout.

For those who have used barrel aging, have you seasoned new barrels with spirits in this way? Also, I'm a little unsure how well the barrel will remain sealed if left with only a couple of litres of spirit in it for a month. I would keep it somewhat wet by rolling it around occasionally. I've also read about the big boys keeping their empty barrels hydrated by keeping them wet on the outside. I just thought I could probably throw it under the shower every couple of days.

It needs to be swelled. You can either submerge it or fill it with a storage solution of citric acid and potassium metabisulfide.
I have one with a Belgian Dupple and when that comes out I plan on rinsing and FILLING it to the top with clear spirits for a year or so.

This is new to you barrel or a virgin barrel?

In either case you will want to swell the barrel by filling it or submerging it. If the wood is new or hasn't had spirit in it fairly recently, you should fill it with a sterilizing solution. In any case, you need to use non-chlorinated water.

If the barrel if virgin oak, you are going to extract a lot of tannins out of your first at least couple fills, maybe more. You will also get a lot of flavor out of the wood in those early fills. You should fill the barrel and sterilize it. If you want to add a spirit for flavor you could at that point, but you are going to get a lot of wood flavor out of several fills. Plan on pulling the first beer out as quickly as two weeks and you'll want to turn around and refill with a new beer right away.

Back