Condenser question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an 8 gallon still with a tall column, a 80 degree arm, and a copper pipe condenser jacket coming down at about a 45 degree angle from the arm.

The condenser is a 3/8" copper tube inside a 1/2" copper tube. Water jacket.

Anyway, the last time I ran it (3rd time) there was still some vapour exiting the condenser along with the drip/stream. I could increase the water flow and knock the vapour down a bit, but I don't feel I should have to run the water too quickly.

Thoughts? I don't know if a small amount of vapour is "normal" and I should just ignore it, or if I need to change my condensor. I do get a good run of spirits out of it, so I don't think it's operating terribly inefficiently, I just don't want to waste water to try and get "100%" of the alcohol out of the wash.

What's the overall length of the condenser? 3/8" inside 1/2" is a little on the small size, depending on the length.
Ideally, there should be no vapor or "chuffing".

I've noticed this a few times myself with my 8gal boiler, and after condensing and collecting some of that vapor using a glass full of ice, I found it to be residual water vapor after the alcohol was knocked down. However there was still trace alcohol in it and that's not good, in my case I was overpowering my condenser, I've since started dialing back my power a lot sooner and lowered my coolant temp and don't have that problem anymore.

An upgrade on my condenser is coming soon.

What's the overall length of the condenser? 3/8" inside 1/2" is a little on the small size, depending on the length.
Ideally, there should be no vapor or "chuffing".

I am at work and can't measure, but it's about 3' long. Straight at about a 45 Degree downward slant.

I have thought about switching to a coil immersed in a bath. I think I would use less water this way.

This is very similar to mine: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...74a-a817-7ead759e74bd_large.jpeg?v=1458748325

Are you feeding the cooling water in at the bottom port and out at the top? That's important for both counterflow advantage as well as for keeping the jacket full of water.

Are you feeding the cooling water in at the bottom port and out at the top? That's important for both counterflow advantage as well as for keeping the jacket full of water.

You know, I am looking at the picture on my phone and I think the fittings look like it's right, but I can also see the output from my first run setup (using a bucket and ice water) and it looks like it's flowing backwards. This is definitely something I will have to double check when I get home.

I also wonder if I'm just running the still too fast. There shouldn't be any reason to rush it, but I tend to try to get things done quickly. Maybe I just need to slow the F down and have a cigar and a beer and relax. This was supposed to be a relaxing hobby, not a "oh dang I guess I have to get my mom's fuel tank strapped back up so it doesn't scrape on the ground and explode." Which reminds me I have to order a new fuel tank and some straps for my mom's car...

I also wonder if I'm just running the still too fast. There shouldn't be any reason to rush it, but I tend to try to get things done quickly.

When I started playing with this, I was the same way. I've learned to slow down, turn down the heat, and let things happen naturally. I get better results if I take my time.

Checked when I got back home and sure enough, the water is plumbed backwards. I am sure it was right at one time, but I may have swapped them during the first cleaning or something. I will swap them back and try it again on the next run. Still have to get my grain and corn and brew a batch of cheap beer first.

Back