Conan yeast harvest issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
I've been harvesting some conan yeast from 2 fresh headys for the past 6 days. I stepped up the starter every other day. The last step up was the most active. So active in fact it blew off the foam stopper while I was sleeping. My question is do you think the starter is still safe to use or do I need to toss it? It would really be a shame to toss it but I don't to risk any infection. I have two cats and have no way of telling if any hair got in or if they went near it. I made sure there was no hair on the stopper and put it back on. The fan hopefully blew any nasties away from the top but that's wishful thinking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389094003.818236.jpg

Can I taste the liquid after I cold crash it? Will I be able to notice any off flavors or does it need time to produce an infection? It hasn't even been 12 hours

I'd say you are probably good. If the starter is putting out that much CO2, it'll probably push away any dust trying to get in. Side note... Sanitize a piece of Aluminum foil and put it over the open end of the flask so it covers the top 2 inches of the flask instead of using a foam stopper. This will allow your flask to breathe without risking bugs getting in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Back