Conan x WLP644 hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10# pounds of 2 row
1# of crystal #40

More basic than basic pale ale formula. I've been using the same formula for a while. Same amount of crystal just darker color if I want a change. Color is easy, taste it where it gets hard!

Kegging my first split batch, tasting notes to follow.

25# Canada Pale ale malt
2# German wheat malt
2# 10°L crystal malt Bress
1# roller oats

2.5 oz Citra FWH
8 ml. Hop shot 60 minutes

2 oz Citra temp controlled whirlpool 180° f 30 minutes
2 oz X331 experimental hop whirlpool 180° f 30 minutes

2 oz Citratemp controlled whirlpool 180° f 15 minutes
2 oz X331 experimental hop whirlpool 180° f 15 minutes

Chill to 64°f, adjusted OG down to 1.065, split into two carboys pitched pitch 1200ml decanter starter of F1 and F1H1 into each.

Set the follow fermentation schedule on 2 individually STC1000+ in dorm fridges

Ramping between
66°f to 70°f over 72 hours >
70°f to 75° over 96 hours

F1 hit full krausen within 24 hours. F1H1 hit full krausen in 36 hours.
F1H1 didn't appear to fermentation as vigorously as F1. Both carboy were filled to the same volume, F1 blew off, F1H1 did not.

4 oz Simcoe Dry hop in primary just as krausen started to fall, 5.5 days after pitching yeast (split b/t both craboys).
I pulled samples just before dry hopping at 5.5 days
F1: 1.014
F1H1: 1.011

Today going into the keg they were down to:
F1: 1.011
F1H1: 1.009
About the experimental hop
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/x331-hop-pellets-4-oz/

View attachment 1489269817467.jpg

Anybody have some F1/C4 you would be willing to send me? I have contacted the OP, but he isn't going to be growing more up until later this spring & i would like to try some in a brew for a local IPA comp. Will send you a bomber with the beer in xchg!

Anybody have some F1H1 you would be willing to send me? I have contacted the OP, but he isn't going to growing more up until later this spring & i would like to try some in a brew for a local IPA comp. Will send you a bomber with the beer in xchg!

I got you. I just harvested some from a NE style IPA I made. I didn't wash it though (I don't feel the need too). I could build a starter and send you some that way you could get a fresher version. PM me if your interested.

Anybody have some F1H1 you would be willing to send me? I have contacted the OP, but he isn't going to growing more up until later this spring & i would like to try some in a brew for a local IPA comp. Will send you a bomber with the beer in xchg!

I got you. I just harvested some from a NE style IPA I made. I didn't wash it though (I don't feel the need too). I could build a starter and send you some that way you could get a fresher version. PM me if your interested.

Let me know if this one doesn't work out. I've got F1 and F1C1 (where did the H come from? I thought it was F1C1?) and can slide some your way if necessary.

(where did the H come from? I thought it was F1C1?)

Interesting, so I went back to the first email I had from Kristoffer regarding his yeast, and he referred to them as H1 and H1/C4.

When the tubes showed up though, I swear they were labeled F1 and F1/C4, so that's what I went with, and even called them that in our mails back and fort a few times with no corrections.

Seems that stuck for a bit, but now people are mixing and matching the letters.

Original blog post definitely refers to them as H1 and H1/C4.

5 gallons of NEPA pitched with F1/C4 is rolling along, (the other 5 is OYL Bring on Da Funk). I'm planning on trying out F1 when I experiment with making a milkshake IPA. I'll report back when they're ready.

Interesting, so I went back to the first email I had from Kristoffer regarding his yeast, and he referred to them as H1 and H1/C4.

When the tubes showed up though, I swear they were labeled F1 and F1/C4, so that's what I went with, and even called them that in our mails back and fort a few times with no corrections.

Seems that stuck for a bit, but now people are mixing and matching the letters.

Original blog post definitely refers to them as H1 and H1/C4.

I got some from last mailing: labeled F1 and F1/C4.

Need to get off my ass and grow them up and bank them. Been way to busy lately.

F1 = H1 and F1/C4 = H1/C4. I've used both names, since I call them F# in my own collection and used H# on my original blog post (H for hybrid). Sorry about the confusion :)

As it looks now I'll be growing up the next batch towards the end of April.

F1 = H1 and F1/C4 = H1/C4. I've used both names, since I call them F# in my own collection and used H# on my original blog post (H for hybrid). Sorry about the confusion :)

As it looks know I'll be growing up the next batch towards the end of April.

Ahh makes sense. No worries. I was wondering if there were some other strains out there I did not know about! Thanks brother.

I really want to get my hands on some F1 and F1/C4. I emailed suregork to get me on the list for the next time he harvests. Hopefully I can wait that long!

First time you use it it's slow starter not making a big Krausen and you wander if it was a good idea to use it.....second time ...wow the things is a beast I had a gallon of head space !

WP_20170320_07_05_44_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
First time you use it it's slow starter not making a big Krausen and you wander if it was a good idea to use it.....second time ...wow the things is a beast I had a gallon of head space !
Right on! You know...now that you say that, I think I've noticed the same thing. The second time I used F1 it was noticeably more active/violent than the first. Why is that, brew gurus?

Right on! You know...now that you say that, I think I've noticed the same thing. The second time I used F1 it was noticeably more active/violent than the first. Why is that, brew gurus?

Its well documented that Conan performs better from generation to generation with the sweet spot being 2nd - 6th (or 8th) generation. I think the yeast just gets used to the environment and grows stronger and builds itself up to do work for next time. It would be cool to harvest some from a couple generations and see the changes this specific yeast goes through since it is a hybrid with 644.

As it looks now I'll be growing up the next batch towards the end of April.

Have you come up with a name for these or are you just leaving it up to the people to name it what they like? I have these for mine:

H1 = Shogun (my favorite MMA and dogs name)
H1/C4 - Xena (warrior princess of course)

So Imperial Organic Yeast has a new yeast Strain: "A38 Juice":
http://www.imperialyeast.com/organic-yeast-strains/

I haven't tried it yet, I wonder if its the same strain as WLP644 x Conan yeast. A38 started to appear just recently, and the description could partially match. Perhaps they got their own sample and propagated it? Ever since I heard about this hybrid yeast I wondered how long it takes for commercial yeast factories to grab it :)

I haven't tried it yet, I wonder if its the same strain as WLP644 x Conan yeast. A38 started to appear just recently, and the description could partially match. Perhaps they got their own sample and propagated it? Ever since I heard about this hybrid yeast I wondered how long it takes for commercial yeast factories to grab it :)
Welcome to HBT!

There's a thread on A38 over here.

Really hope they are not profiting off of Kristoffer's work. What makes you think it's his strain?

Really hope they are not profiting off of Kristoffer's work. What makes you think it's his strain?

I don't have any evidence for it, but the following points sort of made me think it maybe the same strain:
- The description says its for NE IPA style beers. I think that was Kristoffer's primary objective.
- Timing. This new yeast appeared just around after Kristoffer's Con644 took off.
- The fact that this is a great yeast and if I were a yeast company I would want to add it to my catalog.

I don't know how Kristoffer would feel about it, but making Krisoffer's great experiment available to the masses is a good thing for consumers (us). And if it's his experiment I sure hope/wish he would get the recognition.

A38 sounds like a 1318 strain from the sounds of that thread. Has anyone F1 or it's variant in higher temps 68-70 to get more of an ester profile. I have used each once but didn't get the big fruity flavor/aromas as others have experienced. It reminded me of us-05 just a good working clean yeast. I've used Conan ( giga Vermont IPA) before and thought the same thing I was expecting big fruity aromas (peachy) but didn't get much.

A38 sounds like a 1318 strain from the sounds of that thread. Has anyone F1 or it's variant in higher temps 68-70 to get more of an ester profile. I have used each once but didn't get the big fruity flavor/aromas as others have experienced. It reminded me of us-05 just a good working clean yeast. I've used Conan ( giga Vermont IPA) before and thought the same thing I was expecting big fruity aromas (peachy) but didn't get much.

I know drgonzo above ramps up into the 70s near the end. Also, ECUPirate hit 70 or 72 on his with F1.

Yeah, my fermentation profile for both variants is as follows:

Day 1 - 66
Day 2 - 68
Day 3 - 70
Day 4 - 72
Day 5 - 72
Day 6 - 75
Day 7 - 75

As I mentioned before, I think the F1 variant is like an over the top Conan, just stone fruit for day. The first SMaSH I brewed with it was Golden Promise and Galaxy hops and my wife thought I had added peaches.

The F1C4 when handled this way comes across very much like when using 644 for a "brett" IPA - I get a lot of pineapple out of it.

Yeah, my fermentation profile for both variants is as follows:

Day 1 - 66
Day 2 - 68
Day 3 - 70
Day 4 - 72
Day 5 - 72
Day 6 - 75
Day 7 - 75

As I mentioned before, I think the F1 variant is like an over the top Conan, just stone fruit for day. The first SMaSH I brewed with it was Golden Promise and Galaxy hops and my wife thought I had added peaches.

The F1C4 when handled this way comes across very much like when using 644 for a "brett" IPA - I get a lot of pineapple out of it.
I still have yet to brew with F1C4, but I will be later this month. I like the sound of a smash. Did you do a 60 minute or FWH for the Galaxy, or all late additions?

Yeah I hit 70 at the end of Fermentation then drop back to 66 for the dry hop.

This weekend will be the first time that I'm using the F1 yeast and I'm trying to decide on a fermentation/dry hop temp schedule. What is the benefit of dropping the temp back down to 66 for the dryhop? Thanks!

The descriptions in that thread of A38 as "needing a blowoff" and "going crazy" doesn't seem to match 644's characteristics, which I've found to be very reasonable (at 66F-->70F).
What are the activity and krausen like on the hybrid strain?

I always do my dry hops at 65F as well. I'd read somewhere, sometime ago, that going above that could help to extract more of the compounds that lead to the grassy, off flavors some people get with dry hops. I've never tested it, but never got any of those flavors either.

For what it's worth I also only do a 2-day dry hop on all of my non-sour beers.

The descriptions in that thread of A38 as "needing a blowoff" and "going crazy" doesn't seem to match 644's characteristics, which I've found to be very reasonable (at 66F-->70F).
What are the activity and krausen like on the hybrid strain?

I use a blow off which had a lot of activity (bubbling) during fermentation but the krausen height was nothing out of the ordinary. I fermented both at 65 then ramped to 70 after fermentation activity slowed down (day 3). I'm going to try fermenting at 70 then ramping to 75 to see what happens.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=281560

People seem to get more in your face hop Aroma from mid 60 temps.

Thanks.

I'll have to give that a try sometime. For NE style IPA's I typically do a 3-4 ounce dry hop when fermentation slows down and another 3-4 ounce dry hop four days later. At the point of the second dry hop I'm usually ramped up to 70-72 degrees. Maybe I'll drop the temp down to the mid-60's for the second round of dry hops and compare. My usual dry hop schedule gives me pretty in your face aromas but more is always good.

Latest posts

Back